3.

It was finally Friday! I had finished my shift at the coffee shop and collected Mason from preschool

It was finally Friday! I had finished my shift at the coffee shop and collected Mason from preschool. He was telling me all about his day happily chatting away as i drove us home, It was only a ten minute drive from the preschool so we were soon parking up out front.
"So what do you want for dinner tonight bud?" I asked as we walked from the car to the front door.
"Pizza!!"
"Pizza? Really?"
"Pleaseeee mom?"
"Fine!" I chuckled shaking my head at how happy he looked, the boy loved his pizza, and how could i say no to that face!
"Hey neighbours!"
I rolled my eyes and internally cursed at the voice of my next door neighbour Brian. The guy honestly creeped me out, Hannah was convinced he had a thing for me, the thought alone made my stomach turn!
"Hey Brian" i gave him tight lipped smile to be polite but carried on toward the house, i just wanted to get me and Mason inside.
"How are my favourite neighbours?"
"We're fine, thank you"
"So um...Y/N, a few of us are getting together tomorrow for a BBQ.... you and Mason should come"
"Sorry Brian, we have plans with some friends tomorrow" i lied, there was no way in hell i'd accept an invitation from him.
"Oh ok, no problem. Maybe some other time...?"
"I gotta get inside and sort out dinner, Mason's hungry. Have a nice time at your BBQ" i said quickly as i unlocked the door getting Mason inside first, i rushed in behind him huffing out a sigh of relief that i was away from Brian.

Mason was sitting down on the sofa watching a show about space and eating some fruit while i cleaned up a little in the living room and kitchen, i was running late this morning so didn't have time to do it until now. I had decided i'd order the pizza around 5pm being as Mason tended to stay up later on a Friday night. Just as i was finishing up in the kitchen my cell started ringing, i already knew it would be Hannah she called around this time most days.
"Hey"
"Hey, so im thinking we need to go out"
"Okayyyy random" i chuckled wiping down the counter and tossing the dishcloth on the side "why?"
"Because we both need to find a man!
Y/N we deserve some fun!"
"Things with Damien didnt work out i take it?"
"No, he's a jackass! Come on please? Next week?? My mom already said she'd watch the boys"
"I don't know Han, you know i don't really date....i definitely don't hook up"
"But maybe you'll meet someone nice who you can get to know and eventually it could lead to something.... you dont have to hook up with anyone. We just need a girls night out, a night where we're just Y/N and Hannah and not mom"
"Can i think about it?"
"Sure! As long as your answer is YES!"
She said loudly making us both laugh.
"Fine! I'll go out if it makes you happy"
"Oh my god we're gonna have so much fun!!"
"I don't know about that! The last time we went out drinking together we were in a bar fight because you made out with some girls boyfriend!"
"Haha good times! How was i to know he had a girlfriend?"
"You're trouble Han" i shook my head thinking back at how wild she was before becoming a mom. We soon said our goodbyes and i went to join Mason on the sofa while i ordered our pizza.
Just as i was about to lock my phone when i was done i noticed the little notification on my messages indicating that i had a new message.

Unknown: Hey Y/N, its Chris.
Can we talk?
Y/N: About what??
Chris: I was hoping maybe we could talk in person....
Y/N: I don't think thats a good idea Chris.
Chris: oh.... well this is kinda awkward.... im outside

Are you fucking kidding me?!!
I said loudly in my head as i got up and went over to the window. There he was sitting in his car parked behind mine on the drive looking down at the phone in his hands, probably waiting for my reply.
"Mace? Im just going out to the car bud i wont be long okay?"
"Uh huh" he replied without even looking away from the TV.

As soon as i opened the front door Chris's car door opened and he got out quickly giving me a nervous smile.
"Thank you for coming to talk to me"
"What are you doing here Chris?" I asked as i looked through the front window making sure i could keep an eye on Mason.
"I wanted to apologise, for how i treated you, how i ended what we had.... i know i was a huge asshole. I just want you to know that im nothing like that guy anymore...."
"Thats great Chris, really. Because that guy was a careless, selfish son of a bitch"
"I know" he nodded sadly "i wish i could go back and make better choices. Take back the things i said to you.... Y/N the biggest regret of my life is that i lost you. You were my best friend.... my wife...." he shook his head "i didn't know what i had until you were gone"
"You couldn't have missed me that much" i scoffed "its taken you almost 6 years to come see me, i haven't heard from you once in all that time"
"I was ashamed of myself"
"Ok" i nodded "well thanks for coming by to clear that up but i have to go..."
"Scott told me" Chris called from behind me as i headed back inside "about Mason" he added, i froze on the spot feeling my heart start to race at hearing those words.
"He what??!" I spun around to face him with wide eyes, i was internally cursing Scott to hell!
He told Chris about Mason???
"He told me he came to see you, found out you have a son...."
"what is it with you two just showing up at my house unannounced and uninvited??"
"I knew if i asked to come see you you'd say no"
"You're right i would. It doesn't change anything just because you know about Mason"
"I know i just...." he shook his head as he searched for the right thing to say.
"You don't need to feel guilty, or like you have to be here now you know, we've managed fine without you for this long"
"What?.... what do you mean by that?"
He asked taking a few steps towards me, it was at that moment i realised he didn't know Mason was his son.... shit!
"Y/N.... is Mason my son??" Chris asked as his chest heaved from how heavy he was suddenly breathing as he processed this new information.
"I thought... you... you said Scott told you all about Mason...."
As if on cue the front door opened and Mason appeared holding my ringing cell phone. I heard a gasp escape Chris's mouth as he looked down at Mason, at the little boy who was a spitting image of him.
"Mom your phone keeps ringing" he said holding my cell phone out to me.
"Thank you baby" i quickly looked to see it was my mom calling and sent it to voicemail, i'd call her later.
"You wanna come inside? I guess we need to talk" i said looking back at Chris who was stood with tears in his eyes, he nodded quickly not taking his eyes off of Mason and followed us inside.