Chapter 1: Getting Acquainted

Olivia set her mint green suitcase down with a thud. She breathed a sigh of relief as she took a look around her new dorm room. It was her first week at Wellston Private High School, and she was determined to make it great.

What a long day, she thought as she plopped down on her bed. It was nice and comfortable, and Olivia breathed a sigh of relief.

Olivia had spent most of her life in a little village called Westbrooke. She did elementary and middle school there. However, her ability took a jump in high school, and she and her parents made the decision to transfer her to a more prestigious school to grow her ability more effectively.

Of course, she didn't want to leave her home. But her parents assured her that learning to be independent was a very important skill, and as she continued to develop her ability, she needed more opportunities. Wellston was the answer.

The entrance exams were extremely difficult, but after countless months of studying, it was worth it. So there she was, ready to tackle her senior year in one of the most prestigious and competitive schools in the country.

As she stared at the blank white ceiling of her dorm room, Olivia suddenly heard the door outside open. Great. More social interaction, she thought as she got up and stepped by her door.

She heard quite a bit of muffled chattering. She could only make out a few words.

"Blyke... yeah... Isen can... okay, goodbye!"

Olivia stepped out of her room and was surprised to see a girl with peachy pink hair staring back at her. She had a teal bow tie on her hair and a lavender t-shirt. The girl immediately flashed a smile.

"Oh, hi! You're the new girl, right? Nice to meet you! I'm Remi. What's your name?"

"H-hey. I'm Olivia," Olivia stammered, a bit taken aback by her bubbly and energetic demeanor.

"Woah, what a unique name! That's super cool. Well, I guess we're going to be roommates!" Remi gleamed.

"That's great," Olivia smiled back.

"So, do you know anyone else around here, Olivia?" Remi asked, walking to her room and setting her suitcase down.

"I don't, unfortunately. Today's my first day and I just arrived about an hour ago," Olivia explained.

"Oh, that's totally okay! I can show you to my friends, Isen and Blyke. They're pretty cool."

"Oh, sure."

"And I guess as Queen, I'm responsible for showing you around campus too! I can't wait. Wellston's campus is so pretty! You're gonna love it here."

Uhh... what?

"Queen?" Olivia inquired, confused.

"You know, the Royals? Jack, Queen, King, Ace...?"

There was an awkward pause.

"... Like in a card game?"

"Yeah, pretty much! Hmm... it seems that you are unfamiliar with the term. Let me explain.

"Basically, our school works like this. Those who are stronger than most others, typically high-tiers, get a role as a Royal. Royals are responsible for keeping the school in order. We make sure everyone knows their place and we also get to enforce the rules. Everyone looks up to us, I guess. Ace is the highest level, but we currently... don't have one. Next is the King, who is the strongest male student. That's Blyke. You're probably going to see a lot of him. Next is the Jack. That's Isen. He's also the leader of the press team if you're interested. We Royals pretty much rule the school, I guess. It's a bit overkill in my opinion, but then again, I'm only Queen in substitution of Seraphina." Remi muttered as she looked away.

There was a sudden look of unease on Remi's face, but that quickly disappeared when she started grinning again. "Anyway, does an hour sound good to pack and whatever? I'd like to take you around before nightfall. Haha,"

"Okay, great," Olivia responded, making her way back to her room, still trying to process everything Remi summarized for her.

As she opened her suitcase to begin packing, Olivia felt a flurry of thoughts race through her mind.

Remi looked a bit troubled when she mentioned that girl... was it Seraphina? And why is this school system so, well, systematic? Olivia couldn't help but feel a bit pressurized when she heard about all those roles, with those... Royals or whatever.

And if Remi was the... Queen, would that mean she was roommates with a... Queen???

"Hehe. Kinda reminds me of an absolute monarchy," Olivia chuckled to herself as she began putting away her clothes.

She sighed. Back in Westbrooke, everyone was treated equally with the same amount of respect and courtesy. She never at once felt the need to... look up to others. And here at Wellston, there were these things called Royals? Kings and Queens? She wondered how this kind of student body was going to work.

Le Bonus:

Name: Remi

Ability: Lightning

Level: 5.6