Chapter 16: Dethroned

Seraphina?! The same girl who--

"Ack!" Olivia cried out as she felt herself lose her balance. Just as she was about to hit the ground again, she felt someone grab her hand.

"You really need to be careful," Seraphina said, picking her up just in time. "Julien really did a number on you with that punch."

"Th-thanks," Olivia muttered. Her knees wobbled, and despite the numerous questions floating around in her head, she was just too weak to speak. Her throat, stomach, back and mouth hurt.

"Let's get you to the infirmary," Seraphina said as she swiftly looped Olivia's arm over her shoulder and began helping her along the hallway.

"You know, I can walk on my own," Olivia said defiantly as they made their way across.

"It's easier this way. Not just gonna leave someone stranded right after they helped me, am I?" the magenta-haired girl answered.

Olivia couldn't argue with that.

They reached the infirmary, and Seraphina pushed the door open and set Olivia down on one of the beds. As Olivia made herself comfortable in the all-too-familiar room, she heard a hoarse voice coming from the bed next to her.

"Didn't think I would see you here."

Olivia turned her head, careful to not move too much, toward the source of the sound. When she did, she almost jumped right out of her bed in shock.

"REMI?!" Olivia shouted, aghast. Her stomach protested with pain, but she ignored it as she stared at her friend. "W-what happened to you?!"

It was a dreadful sight. Remi had scratches and rough marks all over her face, her arms, and her neck. Blood was gushing out of her bandaged head, with more coming out of her mouth. Her eyes, usually bright and glittering, were sunken and dull, and there was a cast around her arm.

"I was defeated. Dethroned, as a matter of fact." She sighed. "It was a bad loss."

Olivia stared at her. Dethroned? Does that mean...?

"I'm sorry," Seraphina said. Remi looked up, surprised to see her. "Oh, Seraphina." She greeted the magenta-haired girl in a melancholy manner. "Sorry you had to see me like this--"

"Remi... who dethroned you?" Olivia's hands were shaking as she bit her lip.

"Oh, some third-year girl named Luana, I think. Just a few hours ago, she came up to me and challenged my title. I had no reason not to comply, so we had a match outside by one of the courtyards, and needless to say..." Remi's voice trailed off. "... it was pretty much a straight-up faceroll. And now here I am."

Olivia bit her lip again. "Wait... so are you not Queen anymore? Has this Luana girl taken your place?"

"Yup," Remi sighed. "Speaking of which, I should probably let Blyke and Isen know--"

"I gotchu," Seraphina said promptly as she took out her phone and typed something on it before she looked up. "They'll be arriving in a few minutes."

"So what happened to you, Olivia?" Remi asked, turning to look at Olivia's defeated form.

"Ah, I saw some kids picking on Seraphina, and I got jumped by them," Olivia said.

"You really didn't have to do that, you know," Seraphina added. "I had it under control. Now look at the condition you're in."

Remi glanced at the two of them. "Who were they?"

Seraphina sighed. "Mardin and Julien. Some of Zeke's cronies."