Chapter 4: First Day

6:59,

7:00.

Beep beep. Beep beep.

The infuriating noise of the alarm woke Olivia up. Olivia remained there in bed, trying to ignore it. After a minute, it stopped. Great. It's going to start beeping again in three minutes.

All of a sudden, Olivia realized it was her first day at Wellston! She jumped out of bed and quickly tied her hair up into a ponytail. She then immediately hopped to her closet.

What am I supposed to wear? She thought as she began opening and closing the drawers, searching for something suitable. She probably should've prepared it the night before, but it was too late now to dwell on it. That's when Olivia realized.

Wellston was a private school. Students wore uniforms.

Laughing at her stupidity, Olivia went over to her backpack and took out the uniform that the headmaster had given her yesterday. She set it down on the table and looked at it in disgust.

"What's with these miniskirts?" Olivia complained out loud. "What is this, the 1960s? I would never wear something like this if I had a choice. Which I clearly do not." Olivia sighed as she put on the white button-up shirt, the gray vest, and the dark teal jacket on top. She then bent down to put on the cringy black thigh-high socks. Lastly, she put on the navy blue bow tie. She stared at herself in the mirror for a long time. I don't look as bad as I thought, but I still look pretty bad. Whatever.

Beep beep. Beep beep.

"Ugh..." Olivia grumbled as she walked over to the alarm and slammed her fist on it. That's when she heard knocks on her door. "Come in...?"

Remi stepped in. "Oh, so you're already up! I wanted to wake you in case you overslept. Anyway...ooh, wearing the school uniform I see! You look great!"

"Thanks... but this miniskirt is driving me insane," Olivia said.

"Haha, I can see it's not quite your style. Don't worry, though. You'll get used to it! And you can always just change out of the uniform after the school day's over," Remi replied cheerfully. "Anyway, tell me when you're ready. We need to grab some breakfast!" With that, she closed the door.

Olivia smiled. Remi was such a nice person. Blyke and Isen seemed pretty cool, too. Having these people as the Royals made Olivia feel more at home.

In a few minutes, Olivia and Remi had gathered their school supplies and were walking down the path to the building. Olivia had her mint green backpack, and Remi her light pink one. There were so many students of all shapes and sizes. Olivia noticed that many stared at her and Remi. Like, for an extended period of time. She found that a bit weird but didn't say anything.

There they were. Wellston Private High. Olivia looked up at the huge, towering edifice of Wellston. So this is where I'll be studying for this next year, Olivia thought to herself as she admired the large structure. Rays of sunlight radiated from the many windows, so bright that Olivia had to squint her eyes.

"Come on, they always serve the famous Triple Chocolate Cake for breakfast on the first day! I don't want to miss it!"

"Ah, coming!" Olivia said as she rushed to catch up to Remi.

When they arrived, the cafeteria was already brimming with students. This cafeteria is HUGE compared to the one at my old school, Olivia thought as she looked around. That's when she realized Remi wasn't next to her. She sighed.

Might as well just go and grab some breakfast.

So Olivia got in line for breakfast, which was some french toast. After the lady handed her two slices, Olivia went over to the buffet table to grab some cereal and milk.

Great. Now what? She thought when she was done. I guess I'll just find a random table and sit down.

"Hey, hey, over here!"

Olivia turned to see Blyke and Isen sitting at a table. Isen was waving to her. Seeing the familiar faces, she happily walked over. "It's you guys!" she said, taking a seat and setting her tray down.

"Yup," Blyke said, his mouth full of cake. Isen and Olivia watched him as he finished the whole chocolate cake in three quick bites. When he was done, he looked up. "What?"

"Pffff... how the heck do you eat so quickly?" Isen said.

Olivia laughed. "My parents always tell me I eat too fast, so fast that my digestive system won't be able to keep up."

"Yeah dude. You don't want indigestion at 17, you know." Isen teased.

"Shut up, asshole."

"Woah, someone's in a bad mood..."

"Er..." Olivia said as she awkwardly watched the two boys bicker.

"Hey, there you are!" The three of them looked up to see Remi, holding two plates of cake in her hands. "Oh, Olivia! I thought I lost you! Here, I got you a slice."

"Ooh, thanks!" Olivia grinned in appreciation as she took a bite. Gooey, thick chocolate filled her mouth as she exclaimed, "This is so good!"

"Hmpf. How come you didn't get one for me?" Isen complained.

"Oh, sorry. Didn't know I would find you guys here," Remi answered, shrugging. "There are still a few platters left though. You can make it if you go quickly."

That's when the bell rang. "Oh, we gotta go! Olivia, what homeroom are you in?"

"Gimme a sec..." Olivia fished through her backpack and took her schedule out. "Hmm... it says P187."

"Oh, I'm in P189. But I can show you where it is. 12th grade homerooms are all next to each other. Come, let's hurry! You don't want to keep the teachers waiting..."

"Ok, coming!" Olivia said as she went to catch up to Remi.

Here goes nothing...