Chapter 12: The Press Room

As Remi stared at the pile of textbooks strewn around her desk, she couldn't help but think back to what had happened during lunch.

"So why is it that this school isn't run the same way Rei did?"

"It's-it's because of John."

Remi shook her head. Why did she say that?

That was when she had a vivid flashback.

You haven't been listening, John! I just proposed a solution! I told you how my brother handled this situation and I said we could model after him-

Did your brother change anything? Did he put an end to the abuse? No, the abuse is still here! So therefore, your "solution" isn't a solution because it didn't work, dumbass!

As far as I can tell, your brother is just as useless as every other high ranker, and you're an idiot for believing he actually made a difference.

Your brother can go to hell for all I care!

Remi sucked in her breath. Those were John's words, all right.

Sighing, she returned back to her work.

***

It wasn't hard to find the press room. After all, there was a sign hanging above the door, with the words PRESS ROOM printed in big, bold letters.

The rush of confidence Olivia had just five minutes ago was gone. She apprehensively stepped by the door. Do I just walk in? What if they're having a meeting right now?

Whatever.

She opened the door, expecting to see a whole bunch of students in there. However, she was surprised to see just one, and he just happened to be exactly who she was looking for.

"Hey!" the amber-haired boy waved at her from behind a large table. "Didn't think I'd see you here. So you thinking of joining the press?"

"Uhh..." Come to think of it, working at the school paper does sound pretty cool. Olivia loved drawing and writing of all sorts. It wouldn't be a bad idea to join the club. She opened her mouth. "Actually, that doesn't seem like a bad idea. But I'm here for a different reason."

"And what's that?" Isen said, shuffling some papers on the desk.

"Well...I've been meaning to find out about a guy named John."

Isen abruptly stopped. "S-say that again?"

"I've been mea--"

"Nono, I heard you. I-I d-don't know anything about him! Haha, I don't even know where you got that name from! Anyway, joining the press team, huh? Well--"

"Isen, Blyke told me all about him already." Olivia shook her head. Overreaction?

"Oh, he did?!" Isen gulped. "Wait, so you know everything?"

"Uh, not everything. That's why I came to find you. I want to know where he is now, and what exactly happened to him."

Isen sighed before he put the papers on one corner of the desk. "And why does this information matter to you?"

Olivia stopped. Why does this information matter to me?

She thought back to what had happened during class. She witnessed the vicious and brutal beating of an innocent student, while passersby did nothing. She was punched for standing up to the bully. She was kicked in the stomach and thrown against a wall for accidentally walking into someone.