Prologue

"Finally you are going on a vacation," I was on a conference call with my best friend Maya. "Meena, you needed one," she said.

"But I wanted us to go together!" I complained as I entered the airport through its automatic doors.

"I wanted to come. Anyway, you have fun and keep calling. Where are you going again?" she asked and I rolled my eyes.

'How could she forget the place's name when I have talked about it since I came to South Korea.'

"I am going to Jeju Island", I replied and saw that it was time for my flight, "Alright I have to board the plane, bye!" I hung up without waiting for her farewell.

After so long I was finally going on vacation. Since I came to South Korea, I studied here and became a neurosurgeon. All along I had no time to travel at all. I was constantly working to prove that I can be independent, earn my living and I didn't need my father's help.

I didn't want to be termed as a 'girl born with a silver spoon'.

My father, Mr Rajendra Sawant, a businessman. But this rich father had no compassion for his daughter anymore. He was the reason why I didn't want to stay in India.

My best friend, Maya, was my only family back in India.

As I was looking out of the plane's windows; only whites and blue. It felt so calming in contrast with my thoughts of how struggling life had been so far.

"So, you are going to Jeju Island for a vacation trip?" the woman seated beside me asked. She looked pretty young and I was in awe with her beauty.

"Yeah, I am," I replied. "I wanted to come here as it is so famous in South Korea. I have seen it in many dramas and so I thought of coming here," I told her.

"Hmm, that's true, it is really beautiful," she said, it seemed as if she was recalling a memory. I then noticed the ring on her left ring finger.

"Have you been to Jeju before?" I asked to continue with the conversation.

"Yeah, I came here for my honeymoon," she replied.

'It must feel so good to be in love,' my cheeks flushed slightly at the thought of being in love.

"Oh, then where is your husband? If you don't mind me asking," I said.

"My husband died due to cancer last year," she told me as she gave a small smile, but her eyes glistened with the hint of tears.

"Oh, I'm so sorry for the loss," I said, sad to know that. She was so sweet; I said a silent prayer hoping she would find more happiness and love.

"Oh no, don't be. I am here to celebrate his death anniversary," she said and I smiled at her.

I continued looking out the window. I knew what it was like to lose a loved one.

Then I felt as if someone was staring at me. I looked at the woman beside me, but she had her eyes closed. My eyes instantly roamed around to look at all the other passengers, but none were looking at me.

'I am just tired that's all.'

After the flight landed, I went to my hotel.

I sighed with relief as soon as I entered my room.

I crashed my body on the soft mattress of the bed.

'How peaceful.'

I rested in my room for an hour or so and then decided to take a hot bath; relaxing all my muscles.