16 | soft

We both drowned under the waves of words we weren't saying

—ben maxfield

▬▬▬ ✦ ▬▬▬

AUDREY

Steadily, I lifted my eyes to face no other than Cameron Alvarez. My breath caught, forming a stiff lump halfway through my throat. He seemed unreal.

"Oh my gosh, Cam," the words spilled, "you're actually here." My arms threw themselves around his solid shoulders before I could even notice what I was doing. I didn't even pay attention to how rigid and tense he turned under my touch.

"Audrey. . .what are you doing here?" His tone stung me, and just like that, I was whipped back into reality. I pulled myself off his body instantly, like he were a metal bench on a hot, summer day, feeling ridiculous.

"What am I doing here? I. . .I. . .looking for you to check that you were alright. I was worried sic—what were you doing these four days?"

He dithered about choosing his next words. "That. . .doesn't necessarily have to concern you." 

I opened my mouth but was left speechless. Stunned. "Okay. Even so, you could still have answered my calls. At least one of the several hundred," I didn't manage to conceal the hurt in my voice. I hated the fact that he, most likely, noticed. 

I hated to appear so deeply affected by something he didn't even seem to care about.

He released an upset sigh. "My phone battery died and I forgot the charger at home," he wavered for long before adding, indistinctly, "even though I shouldn't have to justify myself before you."

I gasped, voicelessly. "Yes. Know what? You're right. I don't know why I was bothering so much in the first place. It doesn't even make sense. I'm no one to you to be worrying. I'm sorry. You're right, it's none of my business—"

"I didn't say that—"

"But you meant it, didn't you?"

"No!"

"Then what did you mean?"

His arms flung up, beating the bare wind. "And what did you mean by "I can't do this" and ignoring me for the weeks I did come to school?"

"Weren't you the one ignoring me?!" The hotheaded volume we were arguing at was probably enough to dispel the clouds of mist enfolding us.

"You know, it's sorta what happens when someone confuses you by hinting about leaving them alone and staying away herself!" 

I fumbled for words in frustration, knowing, hating that he was right and wrong at the same time. 

"Yeah? And what if that someone is confused herself because of that person constantly messing about and not having the darn guts to show his true intentions directly!" The testy response burst out as I stood shocked at it myself. I've never been the hot-tempered type of person, and neither was Cameron, from what I knew of him. Why on earth was I feeling this out of control?

"Well, maybe that's because he's unsure of how to approach a conflicted girl with apparent trust issues that he really likes!"