Prologue

Hello, Lovelies, 

Thank you for reading Lured. Just a quick note to let you know that I will be uploading the Prologue and first chapter today.  I hope you enjoy them.  If you do, please consider letting me know by voting or commenting.  I adore you all.  

-XXXX Amanda 

**********

Silence. It's something other people find release in. The quiet allows them to breathe and relax. My response is different. Silence causes my breath to quicken and sweat to coat my skin. It brings fear and a warning that something approaches...Something that brings death.

I realize that my fear is because of what happened when I was eight years old. Though young, I noticed even then how the air was thick and still with that cursed silence giving us a distorted sense of peace. I often wonder why my parents nor I realized the danger. Instead, we allowed the unusual quiet to subdue us as we succumbed to rest.

My sister, Jaelle had fallen asleep on the couch that night. She slept there often because it was beneath the window and she loved to watch the trees sway. We never thought of the danger she could be in because we lived in such a close space in a motor home no bigger than a bus. Besides, I slept three feet away in a bunk bed and though a mere five years older than her, I was protective of my little sister.

The howl of a wolf broke the silence and the peace that came with it, causing me to sit up in bed confused. At first, I didn't sense the danger. We were werewolves and regular wolves wouldn't hurt us. Also, it was rare to meet other werewolves near the Alabama/Tennessee line where we lived. What alerted me to the danger was the scent. It was unfamiliar and mixed with the aroma of human blood.

I blinked in surprise as the door opened to my parent's room. My mother's eyes met mine in the dark but I saw the concern within them. My father peered at me over her shoulder with worry creasing his brow.

"Get Jaelle," my mother said, in a soft voice laced with fear, "Someone is here. Someone bad. Get her and hide."

I nodded as I stood and stepped toward my sister. She sat up, peering at me in the darkness. Her grey eyes were wide as her lip trembled in fear.

"Nadia, what's wrong?" She asked in a whisper.

I stepped even closer to her and opened my mouth to answer but before I uttered one word, the window burst above her head. She screamed as I ran toward her and grabbed her hand trying to pull her away. A powerful tug pulled me toward the window almost causing me to release her. I realized that the beast had grabbed her but I tightened my grip, refusing to let go. I met its silver eyes determined to save my sister as my mother and father broke into howls as they transitioned behind me.

The beast growled low in its throat and I lifted my chin trying not to show my fear. A moment later, it raised a hand-tipped with razor-sharp claws and swiped downward. I saw it coming and twisted my body but it connected, slicing me from shoulder to lower back. I screamed as it gave one final jerk. Jaelle slipped from my hands as I gazed into her terrified face. I sank to the floor as the silence returned even thicker than before and darkness surrounded me taking away any hope that I could save her.

We never found Jaelle but my parents and I knew that she died at three years old. The only thing we discovered was a bloody nightgown. Later, I would find out who killed her as I listened to my parents talk while I laid in the bed trying to heal from the gashing red wounds that the werewolf had given me. My father had said their names...The Grey werewolves. Though one of them had done the deed, my father blamed himself for Jaelle's death because Jaelle had died because my father helped a woman named Fiona escape them with her child...from a man who had stalked her. A man named Emilian. His name remained etched into my mind from that moment on. When I realized he lived in my birthplace of Timbly Mountain, Colorado, I smiled because on my eighteenth birthday, I would return there to meet the man I was going to marry. When I did, I would seek revenge against the Grey wolves for what they had done to my sister.