Trip to McD's

Nico POV

I shadow traveled to an alleyway close to McDonald's. Greeeaaaaatttttt. Stress eating. Delicious. I went in and quickly ordered a happy meal that earned me a few odd looks. Like really?! Their awesome stop judging me! I then went back to the alley that I shadow traveled to. And I just let it all out. Everything that I've been bundling up since the end of the war. All the loneliness and emptiness I've been holding in. I thought I actually might have had a chance at happiness, or at least tolerable enough for me to stay there again. But because of Will and the stupid crush, I have on him- not that he would have ever liked me back- the camp now hates me and thinks I'm a disease. Will probably only looked out for me because he's a doctor. I was just a patient to him. He was straight. There was no question to it. I was stupid for ever thinking that, just maybe, he would like me back. At this thought, I grab another salty fry and shove it into my mouth.

In the middle of my crying/sob story, another voice spoke up. I looked up to see a teenager, about the same age as me, with brown hair and big doe eyes. That seemed cheerful at first glance but was actually pretty sad looking, like a puppy that has been kicked too many times. 

"Hi. I'm Peter Parker, and I know we don't know each other, but I noticed you were crying, so we can talk about it if you want to." He said as he sat down next to me. I instinctively scooted away from him and laid my hand in my lap, so if he was a monster, I wouldn't be completely unprepared. However, just looking at him, I think he's mortal, but some monsters (and gods, for that matter) have great disguises that are hard to see through.

"Ummm. Hi? I'm Nico di Angelo." 

"So, do you want to talk about it? I know I'm just some stranger off of the street, but I've been told I'm a good listener." What the Hades? Is this guy for real? Did he hit his head on something? He must have seen my face because he continued talking. "I mean... I get that life can be hard, and sometimes it's just easier to tell someone. Anyone really. They don't have to give you advice. They just have to listen. So if you want, I can listen to you. And you don't have to get advice if you don't want it." Would I feel better if I did that? By this point, I pretty much completely stopped crying, and my happy meal was almost forgotten. Keyword almost.

"Sorry, I just don't know why anyone would ever want to listen to some kid off of the street that you have no clue who is."

"It's just... When I was younger, I wished someone would have done that for me. No advice, no lectures, just listening to what you've got to say."

"So you want to hear my story, huh?"

"Yup!" He flashed me a bright smile. Dude, this guy was like a puppy. Happy about anything.

"Ok then," I then gave myself a shaky breath of air before I started. "I got kicked out. I lived at a summer camp for kids with ADHD and dyslexia. A lot of the other campers didn't exactly like me," more like hated my guts and wished I went to my father, "and so when they came to my cabin this morning calling me stuff, I left."

"Do you have anywhere to stay?" What? He wasn't going to question it? And why was he nice? It's not like I deserved it. 

"Oh umm.... not really? I may be able to stay at one place for a while, but... I can't get there by today." Yea, no way in Hades am I going to live with Hades 24/7! Don't get me wrong, I've got my own room, and I really do like him! Just if I stay with him, I have to do work. I can't exactly shadow travel there. I'm already tired from shadow traveling here. Wow, the war really did take a toll on me. 

"So, do you want to stay with my mentor and me?" What? The kid has a mentor? For what? 

"Oh no. I don't want to intrude. I'm fine out here, not like it's the first time."

"Ok, we are definitely talking about that later, and no, you need help, and so I'm going to help you, whether you want it or not." After that, he stands up and pulls me along with him. I move out of his touch, and he gives me an odd look. He walked me over to where a man in a hoodie and sunglasses is leaning against the wall. Probably his dad or the mentor he was just mentioning. I need to thank him for helping me.

"Hey, Tony! This is Nico, and he doesn't have a place to stay, so I thought he could stay with us for a bit?" Ok, so not his dad but his mentor? Seeing as he did just call him by his name but... they do look somewhat similar. Maybe adopted or was estranged? The dude did seem a bit buff but not like super good at fighting. 

"I'm sorry for the inconvenience. If you don't want me in your home, I can just leave. I'll be fine on my own." I say quickly. I don't want to make them feel as if they had to do anything for me. I know I don't deserve it. It should go out to someone that does.

"Ah, no problem Nico." He says, flashing a bright smile and almost looking for something. Was I supposed to recognize him? I know I'm pretty far behind the news, especially after the second war. I just don't understand this century yet. Like why is 'two weeks' dance a thing??? See, it's pretty confusing. (For those of you that don't know, a fortnight means 2 weeks)

"Thank you, sir. Um, by the way, what's your name? It'll be pretty weird to call you Peter's mentor for the rest of the time." At this, they both looked a little shocked. Look, I can barely remember 'Lady Gaga' and only because Leo keeps singing her at the top of his lungs. How was I supposed to know who he was?