21. Introductions

Hey, before the chapter starts there's some stuff I want to say...or write I guess...

So basically I want to say that this story was not meant to be like most mute au's where the whole story is about the character falling in love AND getting their voices back.

In fact, in my original planning for this book, Dipper was never supposed to even want to speak again because his mutism is tied to more than just his choice to not want to speak. It's physiological and his desire to be silent is tied to more things than just wanting to be silent for the sake of being silent.

Of course, this isn't me saying whether or not he will regain his voice (to be honest, I'm not even sure if he will or not at this point. I usually don't know what happens until I start writing).

I'm just trying to say, this story is more about a character dealing with a different type of mental issue. Most stories like this focus on depression or anxiety and the character overcoming their issues with the help of a loved one. This story is like that in a sense, but instead of it being something like depression, it's selective mutism, which is usually tied in with depression.

I wanted this story to be somewhat unique. Not just another basic mute au thrown into the mix of fanfictions on this site/app. I've read plenty of stories where the treat selective mutism like its a simple choice. It is so much more than just a choice and is often tied into physiological dilemmas. (I'm trying my best not to use the word 'problems' because that feels a bit offensive). So it won't be so easily overcome as just a simple choice would be.

So yeah...just keep that in mind while you're reading this. Hope you enjoy the chapter.

The next morning, Dipper awoke to his mom's voice coming from the other side of the door to his and Bill's room.

"Time to get up boys. Get ready for your first day of school!" She called.

Dipper groaned and sat up, rubbing the sleep from his eyes.

He looked over and saw Bill scrolling through his phone.

How long have you been up? Dipper asked. Bill shrugged.

"I don't think I really went to sleep. I dozed off a couple of times but I couldn't stay asleep for very long." Bill admitted.

You should have woke me up, maybe we could have talked to out or something. Dipper said.

"It's ok. I'll just bring coffee to school." Bill said, "As for waking you, I couldn't. You're so peaceful when you sleep."

Dipper blushed a bright shade of pink.

Let's get ready. Dipper signed.

Bill nodded, giving a quick peck on Dipper's lips before getting up and going to the closet to grab his clothes.

Bill had picked a yellow pullover that Dipper was quite fond of, it was soft and Bill often let Dipper wear it if it got too cold. It had an alien head on the front with 'I Believe' written on it. Underneath it,  he wore a yellow and black t-shirt. He also wore black ripped skinny jeans and yellow converse.

Dipper decided on a black t-shirt, a thin red and black flannel unbuttoned over it, and gray ripped jeans. As well as black vans and his pine tree hat.

"You look cute pine tree," Bill said.

Thanks. You look good too. Dipper signed.

They grabbed the schoolbags Dipper's mom filled with school supplies for them and went downstairs to get breakfast.