Mere Dil Ko Tere Dil Ki Zaroorat Hai

Zoya: what... he cut her off by putting a spoonful of rice in her mouth.

She looked at him in disbelief.

Aditya: Zoya. He started. Don't think too much.

Zoya: How- He cut her off again, putting another spoonful of rice in her mouth.

This time she glared at him and in that moment, Aditya really did fear for his life.

Aditya: Zoya. Please. He added tentatively, she looked at him long and hard  for a long time, before she allowed him to feed her. He fed her all that was on the plate until it was all gone and he was satisfied. He put the plate by the bedside and spoke to her, giving her his full attention.

Aditya: Zoya. He paused, revising what he was going to say. Zoya. You are my best friend, and this is our first relationship. The second, is that you are my wife. And as your husband I have a responsibility... As your husband I have a responsibility to respect and care for you. Previously as a friend I have also loved you,  respected you and cared for you. But now I am your husband and as your husband I will... do the same. Love deserves a second chance. And you deserve a husband who will respect you, care for you and love you. And I'll be that husband Zoya. I promise you. I'll be that husband.

She looked at him. Really looked at him. He was saying everything she had wanted to hear. Was the person she had loved all her life, finally going to love her back? She searched his eyes for the truth. The truth of what he had said. She found him sincere. She smiled. A lone tear traced down her cheek and without thinking, Aditya bent down and pressed his lips gently against her cheek, brushing it lightly.

She closed her eyes.

Aditya: I promise. He said. I promise. He said again and pulled her closer and in a moment he had pressed his lips against hers...

Main tha rahguzaar, tune thama is qadar
Ab rahi na koi bhi fikrr

He pulled back and they both smiled. He pressed his forehead against hers, he cupped her face in his hands, as their gaze met.

Main tujhme baant lu, yun khud ko humsafaar
Reh na jaye koi bhi kasar

Tere bina mera laage na jiyaa
Tere liye hi dhadke jiyaa

Mere dil ko tere dil ki zaroorat hai

Zoya: Thank you. She said. Biryani baut achi bane thi.

He chuckled and she laughed.

She prayed he laughed often and was always happy.

Aditya: Zoya you know I don't believe in a God. But I'm asking him today, to always keep you like this. Laughing and happy.

And for the first time that night, Zoya's smile reached her eyes.

The next morning

Aditya: Who are you? No what are you? A monster! He yelled angrily at his father as soon as he had opened the front door.

Waseem: Pardon?

Aditya: What is wrong with you? What is...My entire life... Everything my entire life has been a lie.  Do you have any idea how that feels? Waking up one morning and realising everything I ever thought I knew about the people close to me. About the ones I called family was a lie. You! You was a lie. The man I grew up calling a father is not the same man standing in front of me today. Who are you?

Waseem: I'm your father. And you are my son. Aditya you know this. Look, calm down whatever you want to talk about we can sit down and talk. Like adults. So tell me what is this about? What are you talking about?

Aditya: Calm?! Behave like adults? What am I talking about? Are you serious? He ran a hand through his hair frustrated. I will tell you what this is about. I will tell you exactly what I'm talking about. You threw my wife out of her house! My wife! How dare you? How exactly do you suppose I stay calm? He stopped and shook his head. I almost died. Pooja died. And Zoya... Zoya is dying a new death every second, every second that she thinks of you. Your killing her Pa!

Waseem: You people are all so blinded by Zoya. I don't know what spell she has put on you. The fact that you all keep siding with her. Despite, everything. It's unbelievable. She's responsible for your wife's death...

Aditya: How? You told her that. You told her that she killed her sister. You told her that she was nothing but trouble. You told her that you don't care about her. You told her that she isn't your family, you told her she isn't you daughter. You! You! You! You did that. You did all of that. But why? How does it make sense? Who abandons their own child?

Waseem: You have no idea what she's capable of-

Aditya: You mean the fact that you blame her for killing your daughter? You blame her for Pooja's death so now you want to kill her yourself? I know Pooja's death has been hard on you and I'm sorry. Everyone deals with death differently and maybe you are still angry. But it doesn't mean you can be angry at Zoya. It doesn't mean you become the victim and turn Zoya into a villain. You aren't a victim no one but Pooja was a victim, victim of an untimely death. But the truth is Pooja is no more. And you will have to learn to accept that. And you will have to stop being so angry. Stop! Just stop using your own daughter as a meteorological punching bag. It's wrong. It is so wrong. Please stop. You know what? Never mind. Whatever. You want your revenge on Zoya? Fine. How are you going to get it? Huh? How are you going to kill your daughter slow or quick? Knife or gun?

Waseem: Aditya. He snapped.