Chapter 8: The Evil King

Clarkson
I've been dancing with Amberley for only a few minutes now and I can see Maxon and America.

I don't know what he sees in her. Maybe I could come up with a list of things America is doing wrong and present it to Maxon.

Maybe that could change his mind. Although I don't know what I would put because everything America does is always perfect.

I guess I was starring into space because Amberley started speaking. "Clarkson, what are you thinking about?"

"Oh nothing I was just..." Amberley seems confused that I just trailed off but I just noticed America wince when Maxon touched her back.

I told her he couldn't know! If he finds out I could be dethroned and then worst of all America would become queen!

I told her I would make her life so miserable that she would want to leave, and I plan to keep my word.
———————————————————————
America
King Clarkson has been glaring at me every chance he gets since Maxon touched my back.

He probably thinks I told Maxon, but I couldn't do that, it could cause him to hurt Maxon.
———————————————————————
Maxon
America is acting strange and I noticed my father glaring at her. She even looks a little pale.

"America, are you okay?"

"I'm just not feeling the greatest right now Maxon."

We haven't been here at the ball but for a few hours now but I think she needs taken to her room.

"Would you like me to escort you to your room."

"Thank you Maxon, that would be lovely."

Now we are dancing off of the dance floor and are heading towards America's room.

"Maxon where are you going?"

Oh no why is Kriss here? Did America invite her? Well this is going to be awkward.

"I was just taking my wife Princess America to her room for the night."

"Oh no, is America not feeling well?"

"I'm afraid she isn't." This conversation is making America very uncomfortable and I'm not quite enjoying it either.

"Well since she's leaving, Maxon when you come back you could dance with me."

"Actually Kriss I think I'm gonna stay with America. I won't be coming back down tonight."

"BUT."

"Sorry Kriss, enjoy the ball." I couldn't get away from her quick enough.

She knows I am in love with America not her. Why can't she just leave me alone.
———————————————————————
America
I can tell Maxon was uncomfortable with our encounter with Kriss.

It's also strange because I don't remember even inviting her. Silvia must have put her on the guest list along with my friends from the Selection.

We just got to my door and since Maxon seems flustered I kissed him.

He seems to like it when I do that. His mood changes in an instant. "I love you Maxon."

"And I love you America and I want you to know that choosing you was not a mistake. Choosing you was the best decision I have ever made. Don't ever let Kriss or any of the other girls make you think otherwise."

"I won't and thank you for that Maxon. It means a lot."
———————————————————————
The next morning
Clarkson
We had breakfast an hour ago and Maxon has a meeting in a few minutes.

As soon as his meeting starts I plan to send a message to America for her to come to my office.

She will probably know why she's coming so hopefully she wears appropriate clothes for the occasion.

I wouldn't want to ruin another one of her pretty dresses. Actually I think I might just send a dress down to her room and tell her to wear it for her visit.

I'll also tell her maids to put her hair up. That way her back will be completely exposed.

I want this to go like last time, however I don't want her to pass out again. But whatever happens, happens.
———————————————————————
America
I just got a note from King Clarkson saying to meet him in his office in twenty minutes.

He also sent me a dress to wear and said that I have to have my hair up.

Oh no, I know what this means

Oh no, I know what this means. He's going to cane me again!

I wish I could tell Maxon about this, I really do. He would help me with my back just like I used to help him with his.

My maids have gotten me dressed now and this dress would look really good if my back didn't have so many scars from getting caned.

I'm on my way to King Clarkson's office now. I'm worried about he'll yell at me about this time.
———————————————————————
Clarkson
I know America knows what this "meeting" is about. I mean how could she not?

I literally sent her an open back dress. Ah here she is I can't wait to scream at her and then watch her squirm in pain when I cane her.

"Why hello America, please, take a seat."

"Yes, your majesty." Haha she was not prepared for this visit.

"I TOLD YOU LAST TIME I WOULD MAKE YOUR LIFE SO MISERABLE THAT YOU WOULD WANT TO LEAVE AND I WHOLEHEARTEDLY MEANT IT!! YOU DO NOT JUST GET TO WALK IN MY PALACE AND MAKE MY SON FALL IN LOVE WITH YOU!! By now she's already sobbing. Haha good. ALSO I THOUGHT I TOLD YOU THIS WAS A SECRET!! WHY DID YOU GO AND TELL MAXON!! DID YOU THINK I WOULDN'T EVER FIND OUT??!! WELL IF SO, YOU THOUGHT WRONG!!"

Now time for my favorite part. The part where I get to cane her.
———————————————————————
America
King Clarkson's canings just keep getting worse and worse. He didn't even tell me how many strikes I'm going to get.

He probably won't stop though until I black out. I'm not sure how much more I can take though.

After this I will tell Maxon.

But now my thoughts are drifting away and the edges of my vision are going black.

Thanks for reading!! Will America tell Maxon? What will happen to King Clarkson? Continue reading to find out!