chapter one: Autograph

Shuichi's POV

"Hey, son of detective Daiki Saihara!! Can I have an autograph!?"

Another person calls out to me while I walk to my dad's agency, that was the 5th time today.  I sighed and walked over to them to sign an autograph. They thanked me and walked away. I turned back to my own path, tired of everything. All I did was solve one murder weeks ago, and everyone has been talking about how I was going to become just like my father, the next world wide famous detective. Although that sounds wonderful being famous, it's really, really tiring. 

Everyone has high expectations of me, they all say that I'll be better than my dad one day. What if I don't meet their expectations? It'll ruin my fathers reputation as well as my own. "The son of the greatest detective in the entire world couldn't even solve this case or catch that person", they'd look down on me. 

Being a detective...I guess it would be what people call a dream. But it's all weird, would I really want to go through the trouble of crowds and dangerous tasks? I looked to the right of me and saw a small coffee shop, maybe I'll just pick up some coffee to keep me awake.

"Oh Shuichi! There you are you little detective!" I turned around to see Kaede, my childhood friend, right behind me. I waved at her and walked towards her, smiling. "how's it been Kaede?" I asked her. "Hehe, just the usual ya know? I'm preforming at the local theatre next week" She responded as we walked inside the coffee shop. 

"damn, you're at it again? you're truly talented Kaede!" I exclaimed as we got our coffee. "you got talent as well Shuichi! you solved that murder case faster than the cops did! Well, it was quite unsolvable for the police" Kaede complimented me. We drank our coffee and talked about childhood memories and our friends, it was a nice chat.

I looked at my watch and got up. "sorry, gotta go! my dad was calling me to his office to talk about detective work, see you later Kaede!' I waved goodbye and ran to the agency. I finally arrived and waited outside my dad's office. 

"Shuichi, you can come in" my dad called me inside, I turned the knob and took a step inside. There were other people sitting around a table, they had many documents in their hands, and they looked really serious. What was happening?  "Take a seat my son" my dad said, rearranging documents. I nodded and took a seat at the edge of the table. 

"So, why did you call me up here?" I asked. Everyone looked at each other nervously, then nodded. The person closest to me pushed a small pile of documents towards me, I took it and stared at the one on top. 'The phantom thief'...what is this?? I looked back at my father, waiting for an explanation. "Well Shuichi, ever since you have solved that murder case, I've been thinking about giving you a case. And this one seems to bug me more than the others" he explained.

"There has been this mysteriously mischievous thief going around and stealing valuable items, and there has been sightings of him here in this town. They call themself, 'The Phantom Thief'" he continued, he started to explain who the phantom thief was. Apparently, the phantom thief was the leader of this evil organization, 'D.I.C.E'. Although the organization was small, they have caused major problems. I nodded my head and read the documents, I swear I've seen this guy somewhere....

I shouldn't think too hard on it, they look like a cliche antagonist from an anime anyways. I took another document out of the pile and read it, apparently the thief is quite fond of amethyst. They have stolen a lot of objects with amethyst in it, how peculiar. Does the thief have a goal? "um, sir...do you really think that we should give this case to Shuichi? This thief has been active for over 6 years now! Even you couldn't catch him! You have never gone face to face with Phantom!" my dad's colleague stands up and exclaims. For 6 whole years, my dad couldn't catch him, and let alone even face him. Who this guy? The only thing they have for pictures are some drawings of his outfit and a few blurry pictures of him running on the rooftops. No one has ever heard their voice either.