chapter 9: Kokichi...

Shuichi's POV

Huh? Kokichi...?
Where did he go?
I just finished talking with kiibo, and he has agreed to join us so that he could rescue Miu.

I passed by Kokichi's room and heard him mumble and talk to himself.

What was he talking about?
I placed my ear against the door, hoping to hear him clearer.
But the door opened slightly, I freaked out and hid.

I still hear him, he didn't notice me.
I took a peek inside his room.
It was messy and full of stolen items, I recognised some of them.
The glass ball and my hat were on his shelf, at least the shelf is somewhat clean.

I looked back at Kokichi, he was staring of into space, muttering nonsense.
"Weak weak weak weak" he started chanting as his nails dig into his skin.
His body started rocking in attempt to try comfort himself.
"I need to protect-" he spoke, his voice quivering.

I knocked on his door.
"Kokichi?" He didn't pay attention at first, but I walked towards him and placed my hand on his shoulder.
He jolted, surprised by my presence.
"S-shuichi...nishishi I was just practicing my a-acting! See, I nailed the stutter!" He put on a smile.
It was most definitely fake.
"Kokichi. Look at me" he turned to face me, his face was a mess and his eyes were a bit red from his tears.

He quickly pulled out a little bottle.
"What did I tell you~ I used this tear thing to make my eyes red!" He really went out of his way to hide his emotions. I pulled him into a hug, his eyes widened. He wants to hug me back, but he doesn't allow himself to.
"Wow Shumai, you're really touchy today huh~" he says, still trying to push me away.

"Let me see your arms" I grab his wrists and look at his arms, his nails dig way too deep. I sighed and took out a med kit. Ironically, it was the one that I brought at the heist.
I bandaged his hand after he played the knife game.
I start Bandaging his arms, but all of the sudden, Kokichi started laughing.
I gave him a questioning glance.

"You know Shumai, you've bandadged and helped me even when I was your enemy. You're very kind hearted" He chuckles, but it sounded sad.

"But being that kind could get you killed you know? Although I'm your ally now, you shouldn't care for me" he said, staring at the bandages.
"H-huh!? Why?" I exclaimed.

"Your father tried to kill you, would you still help him if he was hurt?" He asked me.

"I-i uhm-" he quickly cut me off.
"You bandaged a criminal like me, so what if you helped them and they deceived you and took you away? What then Shuichi?" His face looked serious, I could tell he was on the verge of tears.

"T-that's different! I wouldn't help them!" I yelled.
"So then why did you help me?! Why did you waste your supplies on someone who has no future and only lives to be a good for nothing troublemaker!?!" He screamed in agony. His nails dig into the bandages where he hurt himself before.

"Kokichi!" I grab his wrists one more time, holding them firmly so he couldn't break free from my grasp.
"Look me in the eyes, you are NOT just a troublemaker! You are Kokichi Ouma, a powerful leader of D.I.C.E, a mischievous thief, and an amazing friend! You have inspired your members in so many ways as you continue to guide them!" I took a deep breath in, I wasn't done there.

"You are Kokichi Ouma, the person who would help their friends and rescue them from danger even if it costed countless hours of sleep, sanity, and even their own precious life! The person who lies to themselves so no one would ever figure out what you are thinking or how much you doubt yourself every single day!"
I tightened my grip on his wrists, refusing to let go of him, forcing him to listen to me.

"You are Kokichi Ouma! You're not a troublemaker, you are not weak, you are not useless, and you are definitely NOT evil!"

"And that's the truth!" I finished my rambling, my tears were overflowing
A

nd dripping down my face.
It didn't matter, I didn't care.
What I care about is Kokichi.
I care about him so much, I would do anything to protect him.

"Shuichi...you sure do have a way of words huh?" Kokichi lifted his head up and placed his forehead on mine.
"Thank you" he whispered.
He layed his head on my chest.
He pulled me into the tightest hug and broke down into tears.
I couldn't tell if they were happy or sad, but I was just glad that he was able to open up to me.

"Shuichi...please don't die...please don't go with them. Don't, please. Please please please-" his tears increased as he talked.
I get it, his imagination is way to powerful. He'll literally think up every scenario that could happen and stress over it again and again, creating complicated plans.
"Of course I won't Kokichi" he took my hand and squeezed it

He nuzzled into my chest and leaned into my touch.
"Please don't leave, just like..like" he sniffles and buried his head into my chest again.
Who did he lose?
"I won't leave, I promise. Whoever you've lost, just know that I'm still here. I'm right here" I told him, gently stroking his hair.
"Don't worry about the future. Right now, I'm Infront of you. I'm here" I reassure him.

"Shuichi, I look pretty weak and stupid right now huh..." Kokichi hiccups and tries to hold back his tears again.
"Just let it out Kokichi, it feels better if you do. A good cry won't hurt you" I pat his head.

I'll never let anything bad happen to you. Never.