Chapter Four

Chapter Four

The flight was two hours long, so I decided to try and fall asleep. I needed to know if the blue-eyed boy had read my note.

Dreams came fast, but I didn't find him...

All I saw was a Blue Moon filling the sky. I gazed at its detail and felt the energy that came from it. Slowly, it started to rise. In the gleam of blue light, I saw Drake to my right, and to my left I saw the boy I was searching for.

The landing gear hit the ground and I awoke with a start.

Libby had fallen asleep, too, so I carried her through the airport and cradled her as my mother rented us a car. My mother drove through the last hours of daylight. I took over at nightfall. As I drove, I searched the sky, looking for the moon and wondering what the dream could have meant.

My mother took over again at daybreak. She had been to Ashten's home before and knew the way. I gladly closed my eyes, needing the rest, the hope I wanted to find in sleep.

The weight that I always felt on my chest was immediate.

My sense of emotion was stripped from me. This time the people around me could see me. They gawked in my direction. The room I was in was more beautiful than any other room I had visited in these nightmares. It was regal. The floor was a red velvet carpet, and doors that stretched from the floor to the ceiling were centered on every wall. One of them led outside, into sunlight.

Women were lining the walls, dressed for a formal occasion; others made adjustments to what I was wearing. They'd dressed me in a gown, with lace and flowers woven into the design.

The wooden doors in front of me opened. I sensed someone. They were not afraid like the ones I always felt here. Instead, they were content. My heartbeat grew louder as I gasped for breath under the pressure on my chest. I wanted to wake, to help whoever needed me and leave. Through the doorway, I heard whispering.

A striking woman of age with spellbinding green eyes glided over to me. When she reached me, the ones around me scurried away. She took my hand, and as her smooth skin touched mine, the room vanished and I was surrounded by a white glow. In that moment, the weight on my chest was released. The woman smiled. I could feel her intensely now. She was compassionate, unconditional... at least when her emotions are aimed at me she was.

"You've been quite difficult to find," she said serenely.

"Who are you?".

"I am Perodine. You have known me from your first heartbeat."

"What do you want?" I asked, nervously.

She kept taking me in, like I was the supernatural element in this scene. "I've waited over four million years to see you this...strong."

"What?"

Perodine beamed. "You're powerful ..." she tilted her head. "Your heart is. The one who sees all must have it."

Sees what?

"I don't understand." I couldn't hide the tremble in my voice.

"When the Blue Moon rises, you will choose. Not for the first time or the last, but you will chose."

"Choose what?"

Perodine went to speak, and as she did, I saw pain absorb her body. With her eyes closed, she inhaled deeply and said in a hushed voice, "Our time now is over."

The room flashed back, and the others in the room gasped. The pain on my chest intensified. I panted for breath. Before I could focus on what was happening, men took Perodine away. She glanced over her shoulder at me, taking in one last disbelieving glance.