Chapter Six

Chapter Six

The sunlight peeked through the open window, warming my face. I smiled before I opened my eyes. When I reached for Landen, though, I didn't find him. Libby's small frame was under my hand. I opened my eyes to see her tiny sleeping head on my pillow. I hesitated, searching my memory. Then I franticly rose quickly, thinking it was all a dream.

I reached my senses out, finally finding Landen. Relief swept through me. He was downstairs with the others, maybe someone new?

Their emotions giving me no alarm, I lay back down and traced Libby's small features as she slept at my side. I couldn't recall when she'd come in there. Hoping that she hadn't had a nightmare, I shuddered as I remembered mine once again. Whatever the case, Libby seemed calm enough now, so I decided to get ready for whatever the day held for me.

When I returned to my room, Libby was sitting up in my bed. A smile filled my face; her hair was nothing less than a savage nest, though she did look well rested.

"Morning."

She smiled a sleepy smile at me.

"When did you come in here?"

She looked around the room, seeming shocked to find herself there.

"I don't remember."

"Are you hungry?"

She nodded.

"Then let's get you dressed. I think we have company downstairs."

I was brushing out her hair, a difficult task, when she looked at me. "I like Livingston. He's nice just like the others."

She was doing it again. I'd assumed we had company, but she already knew him. I didn't push her to tell me more. I was pretty positive my childhood ended the second I figured out I was different. I didn't want that to happen to Libby. I didn't want any of my darkness to touch her.

We heard laughter coming from the kitchen as we walked downstairs. Joy owned the vibe in the cabin.

"Ah, there they are," Dad said proudly.

Everyone was at the table—Ashten, Landen, and a man I assumed was Livingston, all dressed in black.

"Good morning," Landen thought, smiling at me as he got up from his chair and walked toward me with my favorite playful grin. Kissing me softly, he sent a tingle through my soul. I blushed. He was still real...everything was still real.

"You left me," I thought teasingly.

He shook his head, showing a playful pout. "Never."

I could feel everyone watching our wordless communication; it was embarrassing, spotlights were not my gig under the best of circumstances.

Livingston raised his brow as a grin spread across his face when Landen and I approached the table. He was slightly older than my Dad and Ashten, and he had dark brown hair with a hint of silver tracing through it. He also shared their same trait of dimples and deep blue eyes.

"Willow, Libby, this is Livingston," Dad said.

"Have a seat, girls. Breakfast is ready," Mom said.

Libby asked if she could have her breakfast in front of the TV. Normally, that would have gotten an instant no, but sensing the direction of the conversation, mom gave in.

"Willow," Livingston began when Libby was successfully distracted. "They tell me you can sense emotions, stronger the most empaths. Is it difficult to understand who is feeling what in a crowded room?"