Chapter Five

Chapter Five

When we stepped into the cabin hand and hand Ashten was pacing the living room floor. My parents were leaning against the bar that separated the kitchen and the living room. My mother gasped when her eyes met mine, then they moved to Landen's.

She rushed to us and embraced us both. Landen shyly hugged her back, refusing to lose his hold on me. Standing behind my mother, my father reached his hand out to shake Landen's hand. His relief to see Landen at my side was more than obvious in his eyes; it was as if his watch over me had ended.

"I'm proud to meet you, son. Your father is an honorable man, and I'm sure that you are as well."

Ashten had stopped pacing and was staring at Landen with a deep sense of pride and sorrow emanating from him. He looked in his son's eyes and mouthed the words, "I'm sorry."

Landen had no response. His respect for his father outweigh his anger, but under it all, Landen was hurt.

"I found her. That's all that matters," Landen said. "We need to leave now."

Ashten cautiously, stepped forward. "Son, we have to take them all. Libby may have been the only one in the dream, but you know just as well as I do that he'll stop at nothing to get what he wants."

"What is he talking about? What dream?" I heard Landen say.

"I had a nightmare. Drake was there...Libby disappeared."

As he pulled me closer, I felt Landen's sense of urgency grow; he realized why I wanted Libby to go with me. "I'll lead them both."

Ashten glanced at my father; both of their expressions matched the confusion coming from them.

"Landen," Dad said softly, "were you just speaking to Willow?"

Landen's jaw ticked up just so to answer.

"Did she answer you?"

"Dad, of course I did...what's wrong with you guys?"

"Are they always like this?" I heard Landen say.

My mother seemed to have figured out what was going on. Meanwhile, I was lost, embarrassed, and confused.

"Landen, Willow, you're not using words," Dad said almost like he was expecting this revelation.

My heart pounded in my ears. I couldn't comprehend what they were saying. Landen's emotions swarming out of control, too.

There was no way this was possible. I couldn't read minds! I didn't want anyone to be able to read mine. I turned crimson as I tried to remember if I had thought anything embarrassing around Landen tonight or even before.

I listened closely to see if I could hear Landen's thoughts, but I heard nothing. I closed my eyes. "Landen, can you hear me?"

"I can."

I looked up at him.

"Do you hear everything, or can you only hear me when I'm talking to you?"

"I guess when you're talking to me," he thought. His eyes raced over my face, the connection between us took the edge off the rightful shock I needed to have then.

"Do you think this is bad? I mean, is this common in Chara?"

His profound stare screamed no loud and clear.

"What is this, Dad? How are we doing it?" I asked, stumbling over my words.

"We all need to just have a seat and talk this through," Dad said.