chapter fourteen

confused feelings

the next morning it was still raining pretty heavily

the next morning it was still raining pretty heavily. tomioka and i had breakfast together as we conversed about his younger days.

tomioka told me about his friend sabito and makomo, and how they lost their lives trying to defeat a higher demon during the final selection. i recalled the events and remembered seeing them sticking together, but I've never seen the demon he described. yes I've defeated a big one that is similar but i'm sure it's not the one. tomioka explained how part of his personality changed after their deaths and it saddens me.

"i shouldn't be the inheritor of the water breathing, sabito would've been," he explained. i shot him a glare and shook my head furiously.

"you're seriously saying this? i cant believe you."

"believe what?"

"you should. he would've wanted you to be. accept it," i ate a piece of salmon and watched him as his expression turned serious. i can see that he's doubting his abilities. i let out a sigh to catch his attention, "you'll understand. i'm not good with words but i'm sure somebody else will make you realize soon enough, but i'll be guiding you."

"how about you? are you gonna inherit the thunder breathing?"

i nodded, "i've received a letter from my crow a while back before his death. of course i thought it was weird not knowing what he was up to, but i understand now. i'd be honored to, and it's something i wanna carry forward."

"it's crazy if you looked back that we were only 13 back then, seeing each other the first time, and having our missions together," i grinned. the memories were vivid, "we were just kids."

after our meal tomioka returned back to the room since his crow had visited him to announce some business. i went outside and sat, watching the rain fall. last night conversation really got me curious.

who is he thinking about?

a sigh escaped my lips as i hugged my knees. feelings and emotions are really something aren't they. they can turn you into something scary or something vulnerable. it effects your thoughts and your mental stability which leads to your health and your physical abilities.

"a family," i muttered under my breath and arched my eyebrows. who would be suitable for me? who am i close with? who am i most comfortable with? unanswered questions were the only things filling my mind.

  do i like tomioka?

  i shook my head instantly laughing to myself. that's stupid ppfffttt. besides, he probably have someone in his mind already.

  this is depressing

  i let out a groan and lazily got up to go back into the room where tomioka was tying a letter with a red ribbon to his crow.