1 | Pilot

A/N: Hi! Hello! Few things before you start!
This chapter is mainly to set the mood, and certain facts for this story. It's a lot more sombre and deep, so don't be surprised when the next chapter starts a bit more casually. It's also slightly upsetting, introducing themes of self-harm and abuse, so please be careful!! 💗❤️

~~~

"Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Terry Pratchett

~~~

9th July 1996

Harry collapsed on soggy grass, its thick, musty smell filling his nostrils. He quickly pushed himself up to perform a rotation on his heels, observing his surroundings.

An eerie silence haunted the graveyard, hanging about in the thick fog like a bad omen. The Cup lay discarded by a nameless grave.

The Cup. The Cup was a PortKey, they had to go back—

"Cedric—"

"Kill the spare."

A green light pierced the darkness and struck the elder boy down. A thud that sounded too painful to be normal, and the fog parted to reveal the fallen body of Cedric Diggory.

"CEDRIC—" Harry gasped.

The features of the dead Hufflepuff shimmered and warped and distorted hideously, before rearranging themselves to one Harry had seen too much in sleep and too little in life.

Sirius Black stared up at him blankly, slightly greying hair splayed out like a crown, mouth agape in a way far too reminiscent to the Dementor attack by the lake.

"Sirius," Harry breathed. Even the mist parted at his words. "Sirius, I'm sorry—"

"You didn't save me, Harry." The voice was too harsh, too cold, too dead to be Sirius, and yet it was. The mouth of his godfather moved in time with the words that fell from those blue lips. "Why didn't you save me? I'm dead now. It's all your fault."

"Sirius, please—"

"I'm dead now. It's all your fault."

"No—"Harry sobbed, trying to clutch a hand. His fingers simply passed through. But Sirius was speaking; he could still save him—

"I'm dead now. It's all your fault." He could save Sirius and he could bring him back and then they would hug each other and it would all be ok.

It had to be ok because he couldn't—

"I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry—"

"I'm dead now. It's all your fau—"

"I'm SORRY!" He screamed through tears, and his scream split the nightmare open, and brought him back to a darker reality.

Harry's screams grappled for release under the duct tape sealing his mouth shut.

***

11th July 1996

"Sirius Black."

Nothing.