Chapter Nine - Strange and Unknown Feelings

"There are rather serious accusations girls; I am sure you know that. We do not take accusations of bullying lightly and I want you to be certain that these are all facts and not just baseless rumours. Victoria is an exemplary student and the last person to be such a thing."

Mrs Maddox crossed her legs and folded her hands in her lap. She looked between the three of us, her eyes darting back and forth as she tried to process the seemingly insane story we had just told her. If I hadn't been the one going through it all, I doubt I would have believed any of it. The story sounded too extreme and outlandish to have been possible – especially as Victoria came across as the perfect student – but I knew better than anyone that it was the truth.

I had told Mrs Maddox the entire story. From the attempted initiation almost two weeks before to the incident in the pool that morning. Katie had been right, she needed to know the truth if I stood any chance in shaking Victoria off my back. Both her and Jo had returned that evening with the work I had missed from being stuck in the infirmary. Mrs Maddox arrived not long after to clear up the miscommunication between her and Mrs Leverton.

No one was quite sure how that had happened, but her being here seemed like the perfect opportunity to tell her the truth.

"I know it sounds insane, and it probably is, but it happened. Ask anyone in the dormitory, they were all there the other night," I said.

"We will investigate these accusations in due course. However, be aware that if their story does not corroborate yours, you will be in serious trouble for spreading lies about another pupil. Do you understand, girls?"

"Yes, Mrs Maddox," we chorused.

"Good."

She nodded toward us and unfolded her legs, pushing herself off the chair. I watched as she swung it around to tuck it under a nearby table before she walked away. Her heels slapped against the wood flooring, echoing through the room and out into the hallway. A person could be nowhere near her but still here her coming.

The early evening sun streamed in through the infirmary window, lighting up a small patch of the floor and the far corner of my bed. A small bird hopped along the window ledge outside, its tweet travelling through the closed glass and breaking the silence. Katie knocked her leg against mine, rocking it from side to side and grinning at me.

I knotted my hands together in my lap and bit down on my lower lip, thinking through what Mrs Maddox had just said. Although I had wanted to tell the truth, her reaction made me think twice about doing so in the future. We all knew that the rest of the fourth years would agree with Victoria since she had some sort of hold over them. The likelihood of any of them agreeing with me felt impossible and if they didn't back-up my story, I'd be in trouble and not Victoria.

"No one is going to back us up, you know that don't you?" I said to Katie, looking up from the blanket.

"Unfortunately. I hate how Victoria has everyone wrapped around her little finger, even the teachers think she's this perfect little angel. You know, she really wants to be head girl and got so annoyed when she found out I had it not her. Hear girl never goes to a fourth year, ever. We need to expose her for the witch she really is."

"Isn't that a bit extreme? Yes, she's bad, but wouldn't ignoring her be better?" Jo suggested.

"When has ignoring someone ever worked? It only boosts their ego and I doubt Victoria's needs boosting any more. Besides, she'll just think she won."

"I don't think aggravating her will help. If anything, it will only make her worse and we already know she'll stop at nothing to get Flick out of the school."