Chapter Thirty-Two - Two Weeks Is Not Enough

All my project notes were gone.

I searched through the paper on my bed, inside my trunk, everywhere. I even crawled across the entire floor just in case. They weren't there. Paper didn't just grow legs and walk away. If it did, my trunk would have been a lot cleaner; someone took my notes. There was only one person in the entire school that I knew who would be stupid enough to take notes from someone, especially if they were the last one in the room before they disappeared.

Victoria knew she couldn't beat me on her own, she knew she was too far behind to stand any chance. Just like everything else, she had to resort to underhanded tactics in order to win and stealing my project notes definitely constituted as underhanded tactics. She had cheated.

"Victoria?" Katie asked, watching me stuff everything except the notes I didn't plan on using back into my trunk.

"Who else? She was the last one in here and all of a sudden, my notes are gone? It can't be a coincidence," I said.

"Report her to Mrs Maddox. She went through your things which is against the rules and stealing is also against the rules. You might get an extension on the presentation if you report your notes being stolen."

"No way. Mrs Maddox hasn't believed a word I've said about Victoria since day one and unless we can prove she did it, we're not going to be believed. We have to go about this a different way. "

"How?" Katie gave me a quizzical look.

"I still have the notes from before, all I have to do is turn them into a speech and give the presentation. This is sneaky. I'm not letting her get to me."

"You have two weeks. That's a lot of work."

"I know. It'll be fine."

"Don't push yourself too far, Flick."

"I know what I'm doing. Trust me."

Katie gave me a look, as though not sure what to make of my claim, but I didn't care. Victoria's plan had been to try and knock me down, force me to give in and not go against her with the presentation and allow her to win the competition between us. I wasn't going to back down from her petty behaviour and I certainly wasn't going to give in if she felt the need to cheat rather than face me honestly. If she had disposed of my project notes, then she was nervous to face me. Who was I to not allow her the opportunity?

I pushed myself off the floor and sat at the end of my bed, crossing my legs and flicking through the never-ending collection of notes. Before, I had thought the notes to be a curse, especially as it took me so long to narrow them down into one coherent project. Without meaning to, I had prepared for a situation such as this one and had something to fall back on now my original notes were gone. I just had to find a way to make it memorable.

Despite my promise to Jo and knowing I would have let her down by not returning to help her, I threw myself into collecting my notes and sorting through them. Notes that didn't fit into any potential category were put to one side and the ones that may have been of some use to the other. I was willing to miss dinner, stay up all night and even find a way to miss some of my lessons if it meant I could finish the project in time. I had to do it and I would do anything if it meant wiping the smug smirk off Victoria's face.

When the supper bell finally rang, Katie had to drag me from the bed and force me to the dining hall for something to eat. I wanted to spend the entire evening sorting through my notes but my stomach, and Katie, had other ideas. She wedged me between her and Grace so I couldn't get away whilst Betty and Jo sat on the other side of the table.

"Where were you? You said you would help me with my science work after your run," Jo said.

"I'm sorry, something happened," I said, diving into my supper so I could get back to the dormitory and try to fix the mess Victoria had created.