Chapter Fourteen - Alone in a Crowded Room

We were due to sit our exams at the start of March.

They would be added with the final project and the Christmas exams – they were going to use my entrance exams – to determine whether we passed or failed the year. With two weeks to go, the teachers were driving us harder than ever. Our lessons were dedicated to revision on topics done so far and surprise tests so we could find fault in our knowledge. I didn't mind it that much although my mind started to wander a lot faster in lesson then it usually did.

Although I wasn't all that fussed by the added workload, Katie was.

"I don't get why we have to do the exams if we're sitting the O-Levels in June. They don't count for anything," she said, slamming the book shut and scaring everyone in the room.

"It's just to see where we are. That and they need something to give to our parents at Parents Day," Jo said.

"Parents Day is fine and dandy until the results are handed out. Sometimes I wish they'd just post them, so I'd get in trouble over the telephone rather than in person. I think they like handing them out in person just to torture us."

Katie slumped back against the leather of the chair and ran her hands over her face. She pushed her hair back and got her hand tangled in the mass of curl that hung over the back of the chair. Light streamed in through the window, illuminating her skin and hair in a warm glow. I found myself biting back a smile.

The longer I spent with Katie, the more I noticed the small things. The way she would run her hands through her hair when she was stressed or bite the skin on her thumb when she was thinking. I caught myself looking at her that much longer when the sun hit her, smiling whenever she laughed. There was something captivating about her, but I didn't know what it was.

I turned the page of my history book, my eyes running over the page whilst my hand moved across the blank page in the notebook. Katie rested her elbows on the book in front of her and peered over my shoulder. She watched me copy down some notes from the book, none of them coherent but Katie tried to decipher them anyway. My handwriting had been a constant point of discussion amongst my teachers.

"What's it like being so smart that these exams are going to be a walk in the park?" she asked.

"Ha! I wish it were that easy. Being smart can be good for exams, especially if the questions require one-word answers. Essay questions are difficult. I have too many thoughts going through my head and none of them allows for a coherent argument. I have to write everything down before I start the essay," I said.

"That's better than me! I can't even do the one-word answers. My mind just goes blank."

"I'd rather a blank mind than one that never stops." I closed the book and looked at her. "Why don't I help you? I used to tutor a friend back home. I can't guarantee I'll be any good at it, mind."

"Would you? I could love you forever! If you can get me to remember Diogenes, I'm sure this will be easy."

She smiled at me and I slipped the book and paper into my bag since I did not need them. My notes for the independent project had grown exponentially in a short space of time and I needed to stop making more and start putting them into a more coherent structure. I hoped Katie would help since the fifth years were not expected to take part in the projects because their final exams were too close to the presentation day. There would be no way I could sort through it all by myself. I needed another set of eyes.

Katie handed me the sheet of paper that had all their exam topics on it and I quickly scanned through it. I took my pen from my bag and made marks beside the topics that would be harder than others and the ones that needed a little more work. Michael used to marl things he struggled with when he was at school and it always helped to balance his time. I hoped it would help Katie a little.