The War Rages On

Even though I had my own problems going on, there was always that one large conflict raging right above me. The "Frontier War", as it was called now, had been raging for about three years now. Yes, there were already rebellious conflicts earlier than that, the main conflict had begun three years ago, and was now deemed the Frontier War.

I didn't really ever stop to think about what the rebels were fighting for. As it turned out, it was a number of different reasons. Some wanted more independence. Other's wanted better representation. Some people just hated the government entirely and wanted us all dead.

But whatever reasons they had, I knew that I would never stand for them killing my brother, and my friends. I had already lost so many people, and now they had even taken a part of me.

I woke up in a cold sweat one night, visions of my brother's funeral flooding my dreams. I was shocked awake, panicking and not sure what to do, so I jumped out of bed and got my armour on.

I then walked up to the storage deck, and found a small niche in the boxes, and sat there for a few hours, enjoying the silence and serenity. I was later woken up from a peaceful sleep by a young crewman, who didn't look older than 19.

I got up and said hello to the crewman, and, as my curiosity took over, I began talking to him and getting to know him. He was, as I had predicted, 19, and his name was Charles. I learned that his entire family had been in support of the UNGM for a while.

His dad was an official in the government offices back home, and his mom was a doctor at a military hospital. His sister was a scientist in the 51st, and that his older brother was a soldier in another Legion.

He said that he was happy to serve with me, and I said I was happy to get to know another one of my crew. I said goodbye to him, and let him go back to his duties. I walked to the command bridge and said hello to my friends and comrades.

Lacie, being her usual self, hit me with a flurry of questions around the topic of where I had been, while Anthony, being his usual self, was giving me updates on certain things going on around the cruise and the war itself.

I smiled, glad to be back in the place I was so used to. I was happy to be back with my friends, my crew, my troops, surrounded by people familiar to me.

But my happiness would not last long. Later that day, as I got up to head back to my quarters, my vision became hazy, and I thought I saw my brother in his armour standing before me. I stopped and almost threw up in my helmet, as I dropped to my knees.

Some people ran over to me to see if I was okay. I got up and nodded, saying I was okay. I lied, though. I was in shock, and I could barely stand. I stumbled to my room, right into Lacie. She caught me in surprise and helped me sit down on my bed.

Lacie stayed with me the entire night, making sure I was okay. I was sure she had other reasons, but still, I was grateful for her being there for me.

When I woke up the next morning, she was gone. I sat up and walked to the bridge, and began my usual day. But I knew that my life was about to change. I could feel it, somehow.

I had no idea how much this new development would change me.