Just Keep Fighting

A week went by. The visions stopped. I got a lot more sleep, and was a much happier person.

I awoke that morning to a message from command, about a solo mission they wanted me on. I agreed, and said goodbye to my crew and troops. As I began packing my things for the mission, Lacie walked in. I realized I never said anything about the mission, and she must've been very confused.

"Marko...what's going on?"

"Command gave me a mission debrief. It's a solo op, and they said I was their best bet. Two weeks on some planet in the Frontier, getting intel and taking down outposts. I'm sorry I never said anything earlier. I was going to come see you when I was finished packing, I swear."

"Oh Marko...I'm gonna miss you, y'know."

"Yeah, I know. Well, goodbye. But hey, I'll be back before you know it."

"I know you will. But if you get captured, well, I won't be around to save you again. So don't do anything stupid, okay?"

"I can't make any promises. Okay, I need to go, the transport is waiting in the hangar. Bye, Lacie."

"Bye, Marko."

I grabbed my bag and helmet, walking down to the hangar and the transport. The pilot greeted me and said we were heading to Wellon IV, a settling planet on the Frontier. My main objective was to gather intel, but there were some rebel outposts in the area that I could take out if I got the chance.

I was also informed of an HVT that would possibly be in the area while I'm there, and it would be helpful if I either killed him or captured him. Either one was fine, but the pilot said that it'd be the most helpful if I got him alive. I made a mental note of it, and got my gear ready as my came out of subspace and in front of a beautiful, lush, green planet.

I had almost if the computer had messed up and taken us to Earth, but then I remembered Earth had been sucked dry of all natural elements, as it was now a completely industrial world. 

I sighed and turned away from the pilot, and began gearing up for the HALO jump. I had to get on the ground quickly and silently, so I didn't trip any alarms or radar. I got the chute pack on, as with my bags with all my extra gear.

I nodded to the pilot, and he waved back. I jumped out of the cargo doors, and began my descent towards the green treeline below me. But just as I was nearing the chute deployment height, I came under fire by an unknown attacker.

I saw a rocket flying at me, just before I pulled the chute. The explosion hit me hard, and I couldn't open my chute in time, as I plummeted into the trees. I hit the ground finally, and passed out.

When I awoke, I was surrounded.