Hired Help

George and Bad awkwardly sit outside of Sapnap's home. George had tried his best to listen to the conversation going on inside, but eventually gave up because he couldn't make out what was being said. Bad's jacket had a wet spot on the shoulder from his time with Lily. He looked super upset.
          "You know, when Sapnap said that his dad wanted to talk to 'us', I didn't realize that he only meant him and Dream," George says. "Why can't we just go home?"
          "Because they are our friends and we can't leave without saying goodbye," Bad says sternly. "I always feel weird when someone leaves and doesn't say 'bye'."
          "I'd normally call you weird, but after what happened all those months ago, I kind of get it," George responds.
          Bad lowers his head. "I thought we weren't going to talk about that?"
          George looks at his friend apologetically. "I know. My bad." They sit in silence for a few moments. "You know, I'm here whenever you're ready to talk about it."
          Bad closes his eyes. "Maybe soon."

          "That's all we know about the Wither," Dream says as Thomas paces around the room.
          "Can we go now, dad?" Sapnap asks.
          Thomas shakes his head. "We can't just let this go, boys. A thing flew in, destroyed houses, killed the farm animals, and absorbed all of our crops. If we just pretend like this is fine, then what's stopping it from coming after us again?"
          "What are we supposed to do then?" Dream asks.
          "Well," Thomas starts, "That's why I needed to talk to, Clay." He stops pacing and stops in front of Dream. "You're skilled in combat and you're fast when traveling through the trees. How would you feel if I paid you to go after the monster?"
Sapnap scoffs. "That is the dumbest idea I've ever heard!"
"I'll do it," Dream says, not truly thinking about what he was about to commit to.
Sapnap stares at him. "Um, Dream? Did you not hear what he said?"
"I go kill the Wither and I get paid," Dream states. "It's simple."
Sapnap's jaw drops. "Dream! You saw what that thing did! You seriously think you can do this?"
Before he can respond, Thomas claps his hands together. "Perfect! Clay, I will provide you with the finest weapons and armor emeralds can buy. You will be doing this village a great service!" He opens his front door and motions for the two to leave. "Now if you'll excuse me, I've got a food shortage to solve." Dream walks out, surprisingly calm.
Sapnap, on the other hand, was freaking out. "DREAM! ARE YOU SERIOUS RIGHT NOW?!"
"Why are you yelling at me?" Dream asks.
Sapnap pinches the bridge of his nose. "You agreed to go after a thing that can kill and destroy everything it comes into contact with. And you're doing it ALONE!"
Bad and George look at the other two like they're crazy. "What is going on?" Bad asks.
"Dream is going to hunt down the Wither alone," Sapnap says.
George laughs. "No he's not!" His laugh stops when he sees that he's the only one laughing. "Wait, seriously?"
"I've already made up my mind. I'm not good at anything here in the village anyway. I'll get to use the skills I've got to be a hero," Dream jokes. No one was laughing.
"Don't you think that you should get people to help you?" Bad asks. "This is extremely dangerous, Dream."
"No one would be stupid enough to go after that thing. But as you've established, I am a dumb blonde who doesn't have a life plan. This may help me figure out what I want to do."
Sapnap crosses his arms. "I'm not letting you go alone. You'll just get lost and die."
"I'll figure something out. I won't get lost and I'm not letting you go with me." Dream starts to walk towards his house, but George grabs his hand and pulls him back.
"What time are we leaving tomorrow?" He asks.
Dream pulls his hand away from George. "There is no we. I'm sorry, but I'm doing this alone." The three watch him walk back to his home. Dream felt confident, not letting himself truly process what he agreed to. He'd rather convince himself that he'd be fine than accept what he has to do.