Chapter 24: A Few Step Ahead

(3rd person view)

It was another long day of scouting Ruby and her friends. The veteran huntsman retired for the night on a hillside looking over the four former students. Qrow looked on into the night, oddly quiet for being so far away from the kingdoms. For the past day or so the professional huntsman hadn't ran into a single Grimm. Curiously enough there had been slight signs of others traveling before Ruby and her friends, however he doubted simple travelers could be the reason he hadn't encountered a single Grimm. Alas, this just meant another easy day without much worry....
Hopefully.

(Two days earlier, 2nd person view)

You stand in the middle of the forest, your aura glowing brilliantly and your hair silver and on edge. You had been learning how to activate your semblance at will as well as turning it off before your body self-destructs. You've gotten used to activating it, however shutting it off has proven difficult.
"Remember, you are in control. You're not just along for the ride." Chuck says, leaning against a tree.
You breathe slowly, trying to bring your aura back in. You can feel yourself almost cool off as your aura fades, however a sharp jolt of pain flickers within your bones as your aura disappears in an instant. You fall to your knees and breath heavily, still able to move just in loads of pain.
"Well at least you're still conscious this time." Chuck says walking towards you with his arm extended.
You take his hand as the burly man effortlessly hoists you up. You place your hands on your knees, regaining your breath before you speak.
"What am I missing? What do I keep getting wrong?"
"Controlling your aura isn't easy kid. You're letting your aura escape your body and trying to jam it back in all at once. Think of it like an explosion. The energy is there. And when you activate it, it bursts. However where you're messing up is by trying to bottle up all that energy at once. Intstead, try to slowly bring it in. One breath at a time."
You nod, straightening yourself out. You let your aura build before unleashing it, letting it pour out and explode. Soon your hair is silver again and your aura surrounds you like a thin veil.
"Good, now this time try to bring it in slowly." Chuck says.
You relax, breathing in slowly drawing your aura back in bit by bit. Soon you feel your semblance start to fade with every breath. However you suddenly feel the urge to turn around as it feels as if someone approaches. Instantly your body turns, fists ready to strike as Chuck catches your hand in the blink of an eye. Your aura is again fully unleashed as you stand in a fighting stance immobilized by Chuck Norris.
"You've gotta resist that urge to react. In combat let your mind go free and flow, but when you want to bring it back in you need to resist. While it's your most vulnerable moment you've gotta make that gamble to turn off your semblance or to let it flow again." Chuck says letting go of your fist.
You bring your hand down, relaxing and focusing sheerly on turning off your semblance. Eventually you feel your aura fade and you're body begins to tense back up. Feeling your semblance turn off, you fall to the ground and breathe, wiping the river of sweat off your forehead.
"I'd say you're overthinking it, but you're not thinking really at all." Chuck says,
"At least I managed to not destroy my body turning off my semblance" you say, smirking.
"Whilst a small victory, a victory nonetheless. I'm proud of you (Y/N). These last six months have been hell I'd imagine."
"I mean, we use to have to trigger it. Now I can activate it whenever. It's just the stopping it we still need to work on."
Chuck rubbed his majestic beard in thought until an idea surged in his mind. The living legend himself went off into the woods, disappearing from your line of sight. Suddenly as if it were timed, an Ursa stood overhead of you, roaring into your face. You jumped backwards, getting into a fighting stance as the Grimm brought its mighty paw down onto your head. You dodge the sluggish swing with ease before roundhouse kicking the beasts head clean off, turning it to dust. From the trees more Ursa appear prompting you to unleash your aura. The immense pressure around you collapses the ground as your hair stands on end and turns a silver color. Once you activated your semblance, you enter a wing chun stance as the group of Ursa approach you.

 Once you activated your semblance, you enter a wing chun stance as the group of Ursa approach you

(Reference)

The Ursa attempt to claw at you, all randomly throwing their paws in your direction as you just glide in between the gaps in their strikes. You're eyes never loose focus on the group of Grimm and when one pauses from reaching its claw out you strike its head, turning it to dust. You repeat this similarly for the other Ursai, dodging and throwing punches or kicks to instantly turn them to dust. Before you knew it, all that surrounded you was a screen of dust from the Grimm you killed.
"Good show kid, that semblance of yours does a number on the Grimm." Chuck says walking out from the trees.
     "I'm more concerned about it's effectiveness against someone like Cinder." You say.
     "In time, you'll have your rematch. Just don't let vengeance drive you."
     You nod, deactivating your semblance before the two of you head back to your campsite.
     "The trip to Mistral is a long one you know. Even with my truck it'll take some time." Chuck says as the two of you walk.
     "I'm aware. However something tells me either Mistral has something to do with Beacon's fall. Cinder, Emerald, and Mercury were transfer students from Haven. Either they're really good with photoshop, or someone within Mistral got them their ID's." You say.
     "A fair assessment. Then we better hurry. The path ahead of us is long. We may not wanna make any more training stops for a bit."
     You nod as the two of you approach the campsite to pack up and head out.

(Present day, 3rd person view)

     'Another Grimmless day looking after Team RNJR.' Qrow thinks to himself as he watches Ruby and her friends approach an abandoned town.
     However, something seems off as Qrow sees smoke coming from some of the destroyed buildings. On guard, he stands ready in case Ruby gets herself into more than she can chew. He can tell that Ruby and her friends aren't alone in the town, but whether there's friend or foe is yet to be determined.

(A/N): Yo, I'm not dead and I haven't had COVID. I had a little burnout from this plus I was working full time during the pandemic and I started college in August. So I've been pretty busy. I've had this draft started since the last chapter went up so yeah I didn't forget I just needed to find time. I should be able to pump out chapters more consistently now that the workload is lightening up a bit. Also I've noticed viewing on later chapters has been going down so comment below if you feel my writing has gotten worse for this story or if you just haven't been seeing there's a new chapter up. I'm not a huge fan of Wattpad rn as it doesn't really cater to fanfics anymore. Well that's it for me, see you in the next chapter!