✧ Leo Valdez x Reader vii

『 ⇜ ⇜ ⇜ .⋅≜⋅. ⇝ ⇝ ⇝ 』

D e f e r r e d

Everything was a blur by now. Like nothing new, the camp needed hands for the ongoing war and you lent your help without a second thought. 

Unlike before, when you managed with little scratches to small injuries, now the fight was over but here you were, mortally wounded.

Nothing could save you, not even the god of healing. 

You never had regrets fighting for your friends but if the fates dare ask, you only had one regret.

That was hiding your feelings for your best friend, Leo... But seeing what happened to him and you, perhaps it was for the better.  

Despite all odds, you were barely alive when you were brought back to the camp infirmary inside the Big House. 

By this point, the healers concluded that you were still breathing due to your strong willpower and your desire to return home. 

You already talked to your friends, telling them to take care of themselves with a smile. As a last favor, you asked them to let you meet Leo when he returned. With that said, everyone was already on the lookout for him. Your friends left the infirmary, unable to bring themselves to watch you as you slowly weaken. Instead, they tried to find Leo for you. 

Seeing everything settled down on his side, the son of Hephaestus a.k.a., your best friend, arrived in the camp. 

The tension from his shoulders was gone, he seemed happy seeing the long fight was over. He was making his way to meet his friends but he took his time, greeting everyone in the vicinity. 

His other female best friend, Piper ran all the way to him upon hearing that he returned. When they met halfway, they studied each other for a brief moment. 

Piper's beautiful eyes were bloodshot today as if she spent the entire day crying. 

"Leo! (First Name)'s at the infirmary! She's—"

Leo didn't even bother to wait for Piper to finish what she was saying. He wasn't even aware of it but before he knew it, his feet dragged him away from her, running all the way to see you.  

No! Leo thought to himself, having a feeling that he was already too late.

Upon arriving at the Big House, he immediately dashed towards you, pushing people out of the way, and shouting like the world's fate depended on it. His did. Leo's world depended on it. All he wanted to do was to see you. 

When he arrived, he immediately went by your side, "(First Name)!

He didn't even realize the exhaustion in his feet or the quick breaths he kept on taking. For his attention was all on you, even at a glance, he can see that Death was nearing you. Tears fell from his eyes as realization hits him like cold ice. 

Not yet, not yet! He begged to no one in particular but himself. He wasn't ready for this, he tried to rack his brain for a solution but for once, nothing came to him. 

He hugged you, "Please! (First Name)! Don't!"

Your clear (E/C) eyes stared at him glassily, blinking slowly. You reached up towards Leo with trembling hands, cupping his cheeks. "Don't what, Le?"

"Please... don't leave me," Leo said, desperately. He was staring down at the gashes bleeding out across your chest.

He held onto it gently, trying to stop it from bleeding. But it won't work, for you were bleeding too much. You just knew.

"It's alright, Leo. It'll be alright, I promise," you managed to whisper, staring up at Leo. He shoved his face into the crook of your neck and held you a little tighter.

"Please, (First Name)! No!"

You smiled weakly and tenderly caressed his cheeks. "I'll come back, alright?" you said quietly. Leo's tight grip loosened, looking at you with all the strength he could muster.

At that moment, a flash came through Leo's eyes.

"I hope you know that I'm—" You heaved a breath, it hurts. You clutched your chest, feeling the slow, yet rapid beating of your heart. I'm sorry, Leo. I just can't anymore. With that, your eyes shut closed. And your body fell limp against Leo's tight embrace.

I hope I know that what...? Leo thought. I was too late, wasn't I?

"How pathetic, Leo!" he yelled while embracing your lifeless body. His sobs shook the whole camp.

He couldn't even tell you how he felt.

.⋅⇜.⋅⇜.⋅⇜.⋅≜⋅.⇝⋅.⇝⋅.⇝⋅.

07 / 07 / 20 

Happy Birthday to our Bad Boy Supreme, Leo Valdez!!! 

This seventh oneshot signals the wind-up of the book. 
I hope you enjoyed these seven oneshots!