Chapter One | A New Place

Sage's POV:

I was listening to some music as I finished unpacking my things. Once everything was put away and arranged like I wanted, I flopped down on my bed. A small smile spread across my face even as a flutter of uncertainty made itself known in the pit of my stomach. But of course that was to be expected, especially when you've moved to a town you're not really familiar with. Not to mention the fact that it's my first time living away from my parents. Thankfully I had two of my best friends with me to keep my spirits up even though I'm sure they felt the same way. I sat up on my bed and looked out of one of the windows facing the back yard. 'This place really is beautiful.' I thought inside of my head as I admired the lovely grass lawn, which would be perfect for cook outs and stuff.

The idea of cook outs suddenly made me realize that we desperately need groceries. I stood up and walked into the living room to find my friends figuring out where to place the new furniture. "Hey, I'm gonna head to the grocery store. Is there anything you need me to pick up while I'm in town?" I asked them curiously. "Could you get a pizza for dinner. I don't think any of us really wanna cook tonight." Ash said as she brushed some of her curly, fiery red hair out of her face. "Even if we wanted to we couldn't. All of the cooking utensils are still boxed up." Jay commented as he plopped down on the couch, which was sitting sideways in the room. After making sure they didn't need anything else I said my goodbyes and left. As I drove into town I admired the beautiful scenery. Once I got to the local grocery store I parked my car and headed inside. After grabbing a cart I started filling it with everything we needed.

But I did check the prices just to make sure stuff wasn't over priced. I got meats, fruits, vegetables, snacks, breakfast foods, etc. As I looked at the pasta isle I noticed the noodles I wanted was on the very top shelf and I was too short to reach it. I tried to grab it anyway just to see if I could. "Here, let me get that for you." I heard a male voice say. I turned towards the voice and seen a man a foot or so taller than me. His dark hair was parted in a side swoop sort of style and he also had a beard, which complemented his handsome features. What caught my attention the most was his big brown eyes; they looked so deep and beautiful. "Thanks." I said as he handed me the box of pasta I wanted. "No problem." He replied with a cute little smile. I'm not one to soften or warm up to people as soon as I meet them, but there was just something about this man that made me want to get to know him. It was such a strange and new feeling to me.

"Are you new in town? I... don't remember ever seeing you around." He said, breaking the awkward tension between us. "Yeah, my friends and I just moved in yesterday actually." I replied with a little smile of my own. "Well, it is a nice little town. But I should warn you that news travels fast in places like these." He said. "Oh, I know. I grew up in a small town myself." I said. I suddenly noticed that several other customers were starting to stare and it made me a little uncomfortable. They looked at us like we were committing some kind of crime. It was just really weird and eerie to me. "It's nice to meet you. My name is Daniel by the way." He said as he reached a hand out for me to shake. "I'm Sage. It's nice to meet you too." I replied happily. "Excuse me, Miss. Is this man bothering you?" An older looking man asked me. He was wearing a red polo shirt and khaki colored pants. The little name tag let me know that he was an employee here at the store. In my opinion he kinda looked like some kind of manager.

His random question caught me a little off guard. But I did manage to reply. "No." I dragged out my response and looked at the white haired man with furrowed brows. He accepted my statement, but he gave Daniel a sideways glance before leaving us alone. A moment of silence filled the air and it gave me a strange feeling in my stomach. It felt like forever before I managed to say anything. "That was.... odd." I said with a small awkward laugh.
Daniel laughed awkwardly as he ran a hand through his dark brown hair. "This town is odd too. I just wish I could have mentioned that to you before you experienced it." He said with a large smile that I couldn't help but to return. Eventually we said our goodbyes and I continued shopping. By the time I was finished he had already left and I kinda hoped I'd get to meet him again.