Chapter Six | Daniel Brühl

Sage's POV:

I woke up to the sound of rain hitting a nearby windowsill. Then I realized I wasn't in my bed. Even though it was very warm and comfy, I knew I wasn't home. After rubbing my eyes I opened them to find myself in a foreign bedroom. It took me a minute to realize where I was. 'You're at Daniel's place.' I said inside of my head which made me relax a little. 'I must have fallen asleep and he carried me in here.' I thought as I laid there for a little while longer. Eventually I got out of bed and walked into the bathroom to take a quick shower and get dressed. I was suddenly glad that I packed an overnight bag before leaving the house. When I was finished I grabbed my things and walked out into the hall. It took me a little while to actually find the stairs, because I had no idea where anything was. Luckily the smell of breakfast was by guide. When I walked into the spacious kitchen, I spotted Daniel standing next to the stove cooking. "Hey." I said, breaking the silence. He turned around to face me and a small smile spread across his handsome face.

"Hey. I hope you slept alright last night." He said. "I slept good actually. Thanks for letting me stay here by the way." I replied. To be honest it might have been the best sleep I had since moving to this town. He poured each of us a cup of freshly brewed coffee and I sat down at the table. "No problem. It's the least I could do for you since you came all the way out here just because I was having a rough day." He replied with a soft look in his beautiful brown eyes. I took a few sips of the deliciously strong liquid as he turned his attention back to cooking. "Are you feeling better this morning? I know I probably wasn't much of a help last night..." I said, trailing off a little after a few seconds or so of comfortable silence. "No, you were wonderful. You made me feel less alone.... like someone actually cares about me." He replied and I felt bad for him. I figured he has probably been alone ever since his fiancée was murdered. Like he said last night, the only person who consoled him was Horace Craft. It made me want to be there for him even more. I sat my coffee on the table before standing up and walking over to him so I could give him a hug.

"I do care about you, Daniel. I want you to know that if you ever need someone that I'm always here for you. You can call or text me whenever you want, and if you need me to come stay with you I will." I said as I wrapped my arms around his torso and snuggled into his side. "I care about you too, Sage. And everything you just offered me I'm willing to return to you." He said as he hugged me back and kissed the top of my head. We stayed like that for a while before we broke the hug and filled our plates with food. He made us eggs, bacon, hash browns, and toast. It smelled and tasted delicious. The two of us made small talk and it was actually very peaceful. Even though the sky was overcast and it was raining it was very beautiful. The sounds of crows squawking outside put me in the mood for just staying inside to watch a movie or read a book. After we were finished eating I helped him wash the dishes even though he told me I didn't have to. Then we went into the living room to sit on the couch and watch the fire.

I was so cozy sitting there with a cup of coffee next to Daniel. "Are you a little cold?" He asked me curiously. "Yeah, a little." I replied. Even though the fireplace was very warm, my legs were a little cool. He grabbed a blanket and put it over us both. I involuntarily snuggled into his side. A smile spread across his face as he looked over at me. "Sorry, I didn't mean to invade your space. It was just kinda... instinctual." I said and felt myself blush a little. "It's okay." He replied as he put his arm around me, causing me to move a little closer to him. 'He's probably touch starved.' I thought inside of my head. That was something he and I could relate to. I had to admit that I was starting to be quite fond of him. But I knew I couldn't let my fondness blind my judgement when it came to figuring out who had killed Elizabeth Green. Even though I had a strong feeling that he didn't have anything to do with her death. I pressed my thoughts to the back of my mind as I enjoyed the peaceful moment for a while. Then I suddenly thought about Ash and Jay.