Chapter Five | Benefit Dinner

Sage's POV:

We took my car to the benefit dinner Ash told us about, but Jay drove. I was sitting in the back seat wondering if this was a good idea. Yes, we needed more information about Elizabeth and the people that were in her life. I just wasn't sure if anyone there would be willing to talk to us. We're three newbies to this town who shouldn't have any idea about the murder. 'Take a breath. Everything will work out... hopefully.' I said to myself as I looked out of the window at the scenery. The music that was playing through the speakers kind of helped calm my nerves. When we reached the fire hall Jay parked the car and we all got out. The place was pretty packed, which didn't help my anxiety. We walked inside where there was a donation box. A young man was standing there. I recognized him from the photos that were left behind in the desk. It was Elizabeth's brother, Eric. He had the same chestnut colored hair as his departed sister and he looked a lot like her too. The only difference was his light green colored eyes. He thanked us for coming as we each put twenty dollars into the donation box. "That's her brother." Ash whispered. Jay and I nodded slightly to confirm her statement.

Then we joined the line that lead to the cafeteria styled kitchen so we could get something to eat. I don't think any of us were really hungry, but we couldn't just show up to a benefit dinner and not eat anything; that would have looked suspicious. Once we got the food we walked over to an empty table and started scoping the place out. I spotted Elizabeth's sister talking to an elderly couple a few tables away. Everyone else I suspected were just townspeople. "Okay, who are we going to talk to? We have to make sure we chose wisely so we don't make ourselves look suspicious." Jay whispered as we ate and tried to look causal. "I'm not sure yet." I replied. A few moments passed and a plump woman with dark curly hair walked up to our table. She started talking to Ash and I learned that the woman was Ash's co-worker, the one who mentioned the dinner. "This is my boyfriend Jay, and this is out best friend Sage." Ash said, introduced us to each other. "It's nice to meet you both." Janice said with a big friendly smile on her round face.

She seemed kind but she also seemed like the person who likes to spread gossip. She'd be great to get information out of but we'd have to let her offer it up on her own. If we started asking her questions then she'd tell everyone we were interested in Elizabeth's murder. I gave my friends a look and they seemed to catch my meaning. Janice was soon whisked away by some other friend. I quietly relayed my opinion to Ash and Jay just in case they wasn't sure what my look actually meant. I wasn't surprised when they said they understood though. "Hey, I know you. You're the one I saw with him a few days ago." I heard a voice say. When I looked around I saw the bald man that yelled at Daniel in the park. "Yeah, I... I recognize you too." I said with slightly furrowed brows. "The name is Ammo." He said as he held out one of his hands for me to shake. I really didn't want to shake his hand, but I did anyway. I didn't want to seem rude even though he was rude to Daniel. After introduction were made he sat down next to me, but he turned the chair the wrong way around before he did so. "Oh, so you're living in 'Crazy Craft's' old home huh?" Ammo said with an amused look on his face.

We all looked at each other with confused looks, which made the other man laugh. "We call him that because he started acting crazy after Elizabeth... passed," He said the last part awkwardly. "He said he knew who killed her and started accusing everyone besides the man who actually did it." Ammo finished his explanation before asking me if Daniel had been bothering me anymore. I lied and said that he wasn't just so he'd leave. "Well, if he ever gives you trouble again just let me know. I work at Earl's Mechanic Shop on main street and I'm usually there at all hours pretty much." He said and I nodded to let him know I understood. I made a mental note about where he worked and his opinion on Horace Craft, Elizabeth's grandfather. Once we were finished eating Jay went to look around to see who he could talk to and so did Ash. I figured they were better off making random conversation than I was, especially since people have seen me with Daniel. While they were acting like they were looking at the items that were being used for a silent auction, I grabbed desert and a cup of coffee.