Chapter Twelve | Lieutenant Joe Kenda

Sage's POV:

"I'll come by and pick you up later. I... I don't think I can handle being in there, especially when I know what you guys will be talking about." Daniel said as he parked his car in the diner parking lot. "That's fine. Just make sure you get something to eat for breakfast though. I don't want you going hungry." I said as I rubbed his shoulder gently. He promised he'd get something from the cafe in town. When Ash and Jay arrived we all said our hellos. But after a while Daniel left, so the three of us could go talk to lieutenant Kenda. I think each of us were nervous about talking to an actual police officer, especially since we had been conducting an independent investigation. 'Hopefully he won't be mad about that.' I thought inside of my head. Ash lead the way into the diner where we were greeted by a waiter I had seen in the restaurant before. Ash told him that we were joining Joe Kenda, and he lead us to a booth where an elderly looking man was seated. He had graying hair and piercing blue eyes. "Lieutenant Kenda?" Jay said in a questioning tone. "You must be the ones who contacted me about the Elizabeth Green case. Please, have a seat." He said in a deep sounding voice.

"We're very grateful that you were willing to meet with us." Ash said as we joined him at the table. The seats were big enough for the three of us to sit so we were facing Mr. Kenda. "How could I turn down an opportunity to talk about the most famous unsolved murder in this area? Especially when you say you've found new information." He replied. Jay and I glanced at each other briefly before turning back to Kenda. I assumed we weren't telling the officer that we had been doing a private investigation into the case, but I guess I was wrong. Apparently Ash had told him some information to get him to agree to meet with us. We all ordered breakfast and talked about everything as we ate our meals. To my surprise Mr. Kenda was impressed with what we had found. Mostly because he made sure the house had been thoroughly searched when Elizabeth's body was found. "Maybe they took the journals and came back to hide them." I suggested, and the others agreed that it could have happened. "I'd like to review the evidence you three have collected if that is possible." He said as we finished eating our food. We said that we didn't mind him seeing the evidence we had collected, mostly because he is related to Elizabeth. As we separated to go to the bathroom I decided to text Daniel.

Me: Hey, you don't have to pick me up. I'm going back home with Jay and Ash.

Daniel: Oh, okay. What about your things?

Me: I'll get it later. I know how coming over to our place... has an effect on you.

Daniel: Okay. I'll miss you tonight though. :(

Me: Aww. Don't worry, I'll come and stay with you again as soon as I can. I promise. <3

Daniel: I know you will, but that won't make me miss you any less. <3 Would it be okay if I called you later tonight? Like... a video call?

Me: Yeah, that would be fine. And I know how you feel. I'm gonna miss you too. <3

We said our temporary goodbyes before I left the diner with my friends. Joe Kenda was going to follow us to our house. Ash turned on the radio, but turned the volume down so we could talk. "I'm sorry I didn't let the two of you know I told Kenda about what we found. I didn't want him to think we were just troublesome young people trying to pull a joke on him." Ash said. We let her know that we understand why she did what she did. Neither one of us were mad at her. When we got to the house Jay parked the car, and Kenda pulled in behind us. My friends showed our guest hospitality while I headed upstairs to my office to get the evidence. I even grabbed the letter that Horace Craft left in the desk for us. Everyone was silent while the evidence was being evaluated. It literally felt like hours had passed when in reality only a few minutes had gone by. "I think you all have found significant information to reevaluate the Elizabeth Green case." Joe said with a serious look on his face. "Really?" Jay asked curiously. "Of course. But... I'm not entirely sure if the boys at the station will be willing to open the invention back up." Kenda said. "That's no surprise. Everyone blames her death on Daniel, her fiancée at the time." I said.

"I take it you've been warned by the town's residents to stay away from him then?" Kenda asked. "That and we've actually had the pleasure to meet him. He's really a nice guy." Ash said, and I agreed with her. "I know. That's why I was so happy when I heard the news that he and Elizabeth was going to get married. So you can rest assured when I say that I'll do anything to get suspicion off of Daniel." He replied. Before we said goodbye he suggested that we kept the evidence safe. Apparently he didn't want to take everything into the police department in fear of them dismissing it. So he said he'd talk to his co-workers and see if any of them would be willing to reopen the case. Ash, Jay, and I talked for a while before we got something to eat for lunch. After everything was over for the day, I was just suddenly aware of how much I missed Daniel. I was wondering what he was doing at the moment. 'He probably bought groceries while he was in town today.' I thought as I sat in the living room watching tv. My friends joined me on the couch and we ate together. We all talked about what Lieutenant Kenda had told us as well. As the day went on I messaged Daniel, but he didn't reply.

It made me feel a little worried, but I figured he might just be busy. Or he was outside doing maintenance work around his home. I ended up filling my time by helping Jay record some YouTube videos. Then I played a few rounds of Among Us for his live stream. We ended the stream to eat dinner; Ash made spaghetti and meatballs with a salad as well as garlic bread. After we finished eating we all helped each other clean the dishes. They watched a movie while I went into my room to relax. I actually read a few chapters of a new book I bought a while ago. When I took a break from reading I realized that it was already ten o'clock. 'Why didn't Daniel video call me? He said he would.' I said inside of my head. 'Maybe he just forgot.' I thought, so I tried video calling him. I tried a couple of times, but he never picked up. Something didn't feel right. He always answers my texts, calls, and everything. I just wasn't sure if I should go to his house to see if he was okay. It made my mind uneasy. ' He might be sleeping.' I thought. I was worried, but I didn't wanna seem overprotective or anything. So I changed into my pajamas and got into bed even though I spent most of the night staring at the ceiling.

++++++++++++++++++++
A/N: Thanks for reading!! Remember to vote, comment, share, etc. :) <3