Chapter Eleven | The Overlook

Sage's POV:

I was on my way to Daniel's place, because Jay and Ash were having a little anniversary date. I figured I let them have some time on their own. Besides, I haven't seen much of Daniel lately unfortunately. But I have been keeping in tough with him through phone calls as well as text messages. I felt bad for not inviting him or going to visit him, but we've all been busy. A bunch of people suddenly started buying my paintings due to the upcoming holiday season. On top of that my friends and I have been trying to solve the Elizabeth Green case. Unfortunately we haven't been able to contact Joe Kenda from the police department yet; we all figured we should wait a while after Halloween before doing so. Just because we didn't want him to think we were a bunch of troublemakers trying to pull a prank or whatever. I pressed my thoughts to the back of my mind as I pulled into Daniel's driveway. Once I was parked I got out and grabbed my stuff out of the back seat before walking up to the front door. It didn't take him long to open the door after I knocked; I guess he must have heard me pull up. "Hey, let me help you with those." He said as he grabbed my bag even though I didn't need help, but I let him anyway. The smell of food made my stomach growl a little.

I wonder what he was cooking for dinner. I closed the door behind me before following him into the living room where he sat my backpack. "How have you been?" He asked me as we at on the couch. The fireplace was warm, which was lovely since it was cold outside. His big brown eyes looked so bright when he looked at me. It made my insides feel just as warm as it was inside of the room. I also noticed that he was wearing a soft looking chocolate brown sweater; he looked so good. "I've been good. How have you been?" I replied with a small smile. "Good. Better now though since we're actually going to be spending the night together." He said with a smile of his own. We made small talk before I asked him what he was making for dinner since it smelled so good. Apparently he was roasting a chicken with mashed potatoes, green beans, and chocolate cake for dessert. "That sounds delicious." I said. That made his smile broaden. He got me a drink and then came back so we could talk. Every now and then he'd leave to check the food. Eventually we went into the kitchen. I helped set the table for us before we filled our plates to eat. As we ate he asked me how Ash and Jay were. "They're doing good." I replied. I mentioned it being they're anniversary as well.

"Aww. I'm really happy for them. Finding true love is so rare." He said. I felt so sorry for Daniel because he lost the one he loved for no reason. There wasn't a good reason for why someone murdered his fiancée. There wasn't a good reason for why the whole town blamed him for her death either. All I really hoped for was to bring the real killer to justice... to clear Daniel's name. "Sorry, I... I didn't mean to dampen the mood." He said. I guess he noticed that my mood had changed a little due to what he had said. "It's okay. I know you're still healing." I replied sympathetically. "I know I say this pretty much every time I'm with you, but I'm really glad I have you as a friend. You're so patient and understanding." He said with a warm look in his brown eyes. "You're so sweet, Daniel. You deserve to have someone who's willing to listen to you. Someone to be there for you when you need them. Jay, Ash, and I are your friends now and we'll always be here for you." I said, hoping I could make him feel like he didn't just have me. He had my friends as friends as well. "I know. I just feel a lot more comfortable around you." He replied, which warmed my insides.

When we finished eating I helped him wash the dishes, clean up, and put everything away. He made us both hot chocolate before we went into the living room to sit next to the fire. "Do you wanna watch a movie or something?" He asked after a few moments of comfortable silence. "Sure." I replied with a small smile. We chose to watch Edward Scissorhands. "I actually had my bushes outside designed like the ones in the movie." He said. "I thought that when I first came here to visit you. Edward Scissorhands is actually one of my favorite Tim Burton movies." I replied. We snuggled against each other after Daniel covered us up with a soft blanket. The sweater he was wearing felt soft too, so I felt extra cozy. Near the end of the movie I noticed that he had tears in his eyes. I wrapped my arms around him to try and comfort him. I knew he was probably thinking about Elizabeth; I just really wanted to help him feel happy. But I knew he was far from getting over her and her death. "It's okay." I said softly. When the credits started rolling, I wiped his tears away. He wrapped his arms around me before nuzzling his head in the crook of my neck. His facial hair tickled; I had to try so hard not to giggle.