Chapter 30

ALICE POV

"God Alice, it's seven in the morning on a Sunday and you've managed to wake me up with all of your noise."

I wasn't being noisy. In fact I'd made sure to be almost silent to avoid waking up Ryan. That meant I'd get an extra few hours without him and his wondrous presence.

"I'm sorry, I figured that because your parents were coming over today I'd get everything ready for the breakfast."

It was father's day. And that meant that we had to have Ryan's parents over. They were arriving early from San Francisco for a large breakfast and if I wanted to go without his mother hammering me about the messy state of our apartment and poor quality of the food then I'd have to get cracking as soon as possible.

"I hope you know that your not going to wear that today?"

I looked down at my outfit. I actually thought that I looked nice, blue jeans and my white blouse. Not giving me a chance to reply, Ryan gave out his next order.

"You'll wear that nice rose colored dress with the matching heels."

I nodded my head in agreement.

"Yes of course."

What Ryan said was what went. At least, that's how it worked in our relationship. I felt like more of a slave then girlfriend to Ryan. Perhaps that's all I ever was.

Ignoring me completely, Ryan walked over to the fridge and scanned it's contents. I was exhausted because I'd gone to do the shopping last night. Ryan was busy at the bar with a friend so I had to go after work instead.

"There's no soya milk Alice."

Crap. I totally forgot. Ryan's mother was on a vegan diet so I had to make her a separate batch of special pancakes and of course she'd need the milk for her tea or coffee.

"I'm so sorry, I'll go and run out for it now."

I quickly moved over to the key draw and rummaged around for the car keys. I didn't care that it was so early. I just had to get the milk for Ryan before his parents arrived.

I suddenly let out a cry of pain when my hand was slammed shut in the draw. I slid to the floor, hand still stuck and squeezed my eyes shut and ground my teeth together in discomfort. Ryan's hand was pushing against the draw, his cruel eyes staring down at me.

"It's too fucking late for that Alice! They'll be here in an hour and will be hungry and tired after their long flight. All I wanted was for my parents to have a nice fresh meal, but you can't even do that right!"

He pressed in the draw further, adding more pressure to my already crippled hand.

"You can explain this to my mother."

He left me there, in my sunken spot, cradling my hand. It wasn't broken but I wouldn't be surprised if a finger or two were. I slowly stood up and rinsed it under freezing water before wrapping it tightly and continuing with the food preparation while Ryan went back to bed.

That morning when Claire and Samuel arrived I told them that I'd been sorting out the files at work and accidentally slammed my hand in the cabinet. They told me that I should be more careful, I was so careless and clumsy and Ryan had to take better care of me. Then we all sat down for breakfast after I'd moved their bags into the spare bedroom. Half way through breakfast Claire announced that she wasn't vegan anymore. She'd given up with the diet.