CHAPTER SIX

It wasn't the first time I heard statements like this, and I was certain it wouldn't be the last. Newbies are always this way. They're so sure they've got the perfect escape plan that no one has ever tried, or they thought they could be the hero sent to save us. That only happened in movies and this was certainly not one.

"It's best if you don't even try". I wasn't  going to stand and watch another captive losing their life because they tried escaping.

He looked away, doubt evident on his face. I knew his obstinate decision to escape wouldn't go well.

I sighed and carried the stick, standing to go get my hijab, it came of the branch easily when I used the stick. I flapped it before wearing it back.

"Were you a muslim before coming here?". Fahad turned back to look at me.

"No, what about you?".

"Yes. My mom is a Christian, but my dad made sure we followed him, I'm glad I did".

At that moment, I wanted to ask all the questions buried in me concerning Islam. Instead I smiled, suppressing the rancour that had grown in me towards Muslims ever since I arrived here.

What kind of religion made us suffer this way?

"Huh, what religion?" Fahad seemed confused.

I had unconsciously said that part out loud. "Never mind". I wasn't ready to go into religion arguements with anyone.

"I've been here three months yet it seems like a year". He sadly stated changing the topic.

I sat back next to him, we were a feet apart.

"I shouldn't have gone for that job interview". He continued, his voice full of regret.

"What job interview?" I interrupted.

"Since universities went on strike, I wanted to look for something to keep me busy for a while. Kolin Industries called me for an interview, I was on my way back when I got kidnapped".

"But you can't blame that on yourself, any normal person would have gone for the interview".

I understood how he felt. The same way I regretted choosing to go home myself the day I was kidnapped.

Mom always picked me up after school. On that particular day, she told me she would close from her office very late. I insisted I could come home by myself despite her persuading to send a driver to pick me up instead.

She hugged and pecked me on my cheek to make me feel less annoyed about her not coming to get me. I gently broke loose and smiled at her.

I didn't want my freinds seeing me like 'mummy's pet or baby'. Little did I know that would be the last time I was going to see her. I should have hugged her tightly forever.

After classes were over, I decided to get a bus that was going to take me directly to my house. I didn't find any, my head ached along with hunger pangs from being exposed to the hot sun.

A bus pulled over, claiming to be going in the direction of my street after I gave my descriptions.

I got in, happy to be finally out of the sun and I occupied an empty two-seater.

The first thing I observed, the passengers were oddly quiet, sitting completely still.

Danladi then settled beside me, he stank strongly of alcohol making me uncomfortable. I was about opening the windows to let in fresh air when I felt a cool metal object pressing on my forehead.

I raised my iris to behold it was a gun, he covered my mouth when he noticed I was about screaming.

I bit at his hand, he withdrew it only to immediately return it back with a slap on my face.

Stars danced in front of me, I had never been slapped that way in my entire life. He kept pressing the handkerchief on my face...

"If wishes were horses, even beggars would ride". I heard Fahad say drawing me back from my thoughts.

"I'm scared of horses, so I wouldn't ride". I laughed feeling at ease around him.

He laughed too and I couldn't help but notice how good he looked when he did. Even with the torn clothes, messed hair, and the scars, there was a light in him. A light I found myself drawn to.

We stayed there longer than I had expected. He told me about everything happening in the country that I didn't know of.

"No way!" I half screamed when he told me about the bomb attacks that took place two years ago. How was I sure my family weren't among the victims in these attacks. I could only hope.

"I'm worried, how am I sure my family is also safe?" I asked like he even knew who my family members were.

He face palmed himself. "I shouldn't have told you that part, I shouldn't have. Worrying is not the best thing right now".

Knowing I still had a family made me feel I had something to live for. If what I lived for wasn't alive anymore, then what's the whole point of living?

Fahad gently turned me to face him. "Shafa listen, your parents are still very  much alive".

"What makes you think so?"

"My guts tells me so, and my guts never lie". He sounded so assured.

I believed him. What option did I have anyways?