CHAPTER SEVEN

"Louder!" Master screamed at the boys.

"Justice by death!" They shouted in unison, standing tall with their chests out. They stomped their bare feets on the ground to emphasize their statement, while the sun choose that moment to glow on their bald heads.

"You there, give me a hundred push ups. Quickly!" Master pointed at a frail looking boy whose name I later found out to be Audu

"Sir please, I can't " Audu said falling to his knees, fear evident on his face. His frailnesss reminded me of Josh, a sickly boy in my class who was always picked at because of his size. While boys of his age were sprouting beards and working out muscles, Josh could be mistaken for a primary school child.

The guards gasped, clearly surprised at his audacity.

"Sir, I'm very hungry and weak" Audu said crying this time around.

Master smiled mischievously and motioned to a guard. "Go get me the bullwhip and a plate of fried plantain"

"Yes sir" the guard left. He returned almost immediately carrying a whip made out of a bull's skin, braided to cause more pain. When we were much younger, the whip was referred to as 'koboko'. Teachers used it to threaten us to stay quiet, but this one wasn't the type they used for us back at home. This particular koboko was more enhanced to inflict greater pain. He handed it over to Master along with the food, bowing his head as he did.

"Come get some food" Master gestured to a despondent Audu.

Audu stood up fearfully, walking slowly and wobbly towards master. The boys were using their eyes to send signals to him to stay back, but the hunger in Audu overtook his senses.

He got to where Master was sitting and stretched his hands. Master  handed him a slice of plantain which he collected and gobbled hungrily, he licked his palms savouring every bit of it.

His joy was only ephemeral, Master lashed  his back with the whip. Audu screamed rubbing his hands at his back in order to relieve the pain.

He tried to run but two guards got hold of him, grabbing his hands and legs. They turned him over so that his face was to the ground.

Audu was only putting on the khaki shorts which was the boys uniform. The guards took it off him leaving him naked save his underwear.

Master whipped him on his buttocks a second time, this time with more energy, causing Audu to wriggle like an earthworm.

"Do you want more food?" Master asked Audu in a jibe manner.

"No, No, I'm satisfied". Audu squeaked still crying and trying unsuccessfully to free himself from the firm grip the guards had on him.

"I'm not so sure". Master grabbed another slice of plantain handing it to a guard who stuffed it roughly into Audu's mouth which he spat out.

Master continued whipping him till he had given him a hundred strokes saying it represented the hundred pushups he failed to do.

Large red lumps from the beating formed a pattern all around Audu's body who lay half-dead on the ground.

The boys went on with their training like nothing had happened.

"Poor Audu". Samira whispered behind me from where we watched. "All that beating for just a  slice of plantain."

"Yeah. If I were him, I would have eaten all the ones master threw in my mouth." Zahra added and I turned giving her a sarcastic look.

"What? At least I wouldn't loose." Zahra gave me a shrug.

"It seems he has fainted" My attention back to where Audu lay.

A guard shoved him with his boot but he wasn't moving. Another brought a bucket of water and poured it on him but there was still no response.

They carried his numb body to Nurse Muja's room. I strained my neck but I couldn't see what was happening in her room so I gave up.

"He looks like a new captive. He's so...soft." I felt pity for him.

"Definitely, they're always the weakest." Zahra concluded, and I agreed with her.

   That evening, news got to us that Audu died. Another life gone, a life wasted. Death was becoming a regular news to hear. Unlike the past years, when I still hadn't been kidnapped. Then, I hardly heard news concerning death, and when I did, it accompanied great grief and respect. But now, I couldn't feel bad even if I wanted to.

Nevertheless, Samira wept uncontrollably, though she never knew him personally.

"Who's next now? Who?" She had said to no one in particular, voicing out her thoughts. "It could have being anyone of us, I don't want to loose you guys." She looked at me tearfully.

Zahra drew her close and hugged her. She looked at me gesturing to join in the bear hug. I wrapped my arms around both of them, completing the trio.

I wouldn't be able bear the pain of loosing any of them. We had gotten so close since the day we arrived here, sharing both our joys and sorrows together. They were the only family I had here.

I tightened my hold on them, remembering that the last time I had an opportunity to hug someone this way which was my mom, I had let it slide. I may never get this opportunity to hug again this way.

"I can't breathe." Samira laughed releasing herself.