Chapter 2

After long hours, Eleanor goes home to the Shelbys. It's late.

Eleanor sees that the light is still on.

Polly and Ada were waiting for her.

Polly: Miss, it's late. What were you doing?

Eleanor: Sorry. I needed to think.

Ada: I'm sorry about Tommy, you know how he is.

Eleanor: Yeah, I know.

There's a long silence.

Eleanor: I walked to the cemetery...but once I got there, I didn't have the courage...

Polly takes his hand, Ada comes over to give her a hug.

Polly: Sweetheart, I know this is hard. Take all the time you need to say goodbye.

Polly's words are good for her, she looks at her smiling and tapping her hand, gives Ada a big hug. Eleanor steps back, looks at Ada's belly.

Eleanor : but ? are you pregnant or what ?

Ada smiles stupidly

Ada: Yes I am.

Eleanor: I didn't even realize it when I arrived.

Ada: Don't worry, now you know.

Eleanor: And who's the father?

Polly smoking her cigarette : oh you won't believe it...

Eleanor's looking for Ada's eyes, she wants to know who the father is.

Ada: Freddie...

Eleanor: Thorne?

Eleanor looks at Polly in amazement

Polly: Don't look at me like that, I didn't know they were seeing each other.

Eleanor turns to Ada.

Eleanor laughing: I don't even want to know how your brothers react. But I'm super happy for you.

Eleanor approaches Ada to give her another hug.

Eleanor: I'm really happy for you, you're going to be a very good mother. After this good news, I'm going to bed, I'm tired from walking.

Polly: Good night El.

Ada: Good night and thank you for accepting this.

Eleanor  while get up : you didn't have to worry about me, I'll always be there for you.

Eleanor goes up the stairs. When she arrived in front of her room, a voice startled her.

Thomas: I wanted to apologize for earlier.

Eleanor turns and faces him.

Eleanor: It's nothing...

Eleanor and Thomas look into each other's eyes. Eleanor breaks the silence.

Eleanor: Good night, Tommy.

Eleanor turns around, opens her bedroom door and goes in.

Thomas: Good night...

A few months later, Eleanor settled back in Birmingham, she even found a job as a secretary in the hospital.

In the morning, Eleanor, after her night's work, arrives at the Garrison Pub.