The Ocean Chose You

"When he stole from the Mother Island, darkness fell. Te Mate awoke. Monsters lurked and whales stopped coming back. To protect our people, the ancient kings forbid voyaging. And now, we have forgotten who we are."

Current and Trollex then swam to a certain part of the reef.

"And the darkness has continue to spread, chasing away our fish, draining the life from reef after reef."

A mysterious blackness covered a small part of the reef.

Trollex said with worry, "And our home is next."

But then, Current said, "But one day, someone will journey beyond our reef, find Maui, deliver him across the great ocean to restore the heart of Te Ora."

Current then game him the heart, a small pink stone with a swirl, "I was there that day. The ocean chose you."

The ocean then rearranged itself into a spirit-like form.

Trollex watched in awe.

He said, "I thought it was a dream."

The ocean then made a current to flip him over.

Current said, "Nope!"

Current then showed him the stars and the constellation of a fishhook.

"Our ancestors believed Maui lies there at the bottom of his hook. Follow it and you will find him."

Trollex asked, "But, why would it choose me? I don't even know how to travel that far."

He then realized, "But, I know someone who does!"

He then left Current, who overlooked the darkness with worry.

***

King Coral and Queen Marine were talking about what to do about the berries and fish.

Marine asked him, "So, what'll we do?"

Coral answered, "We'll find a way to-"

Trollex then barged in, "Stop the darkness. Save our home. There's a cave that has navigation tools. We can train whales and dolphins. We can take them to find Maui. Make him restore the heart. We were voyagers. We can voyage again. You told me to help our people. This is how we can help our people."

Coral then swam off angrily.

Trollex went after him, "Dad. What are you doing?"

He answered, "I should've had those tools destroyed a long time ago!"

Trollex tried to stop him, "No, Dad! We have to find Maui! We have to restore the heart!"

Coral took it from him, "There is no heart! This...this is just a rock!"

He then threw it, and Trollex went after it, "No!"

He managed to find it, but he also found...Current's sea turtle pendant.

He and Coral looked at it with fear.

One of the Trolls called out, "Your Majesty, it's your father!"

Both gasped with horror.