The Truth

On the whale voyage, Maui just kept singing, What can I say, except we're dead soon... We're dead soon...

Trollex then asked, "Can you at least try?"

Maui tried, but the same reaction happened.

Trollex and TBDB looked at each other and then Trollex said, "Ok. Break time's over. Get up."

Maui grumbled, "Why? You gonna give me a speech? Tell me I could beat Te Mate cause I'm ..."Maui". Take a hike, tiny."

Trollex then took a look at the tattoo from earlier.

He asked, "How do you get your tattoos?"

Maui answered, "They show up when I earn them."

Trollex pointed to the tattoo, "So...how'd you get that one?"

"That's for the discovery of Nunya."

"What's Nunya?"

"Nunya bitness."

Trollex wouldn't stop, "Is that why your hook's not working? You don't wanna talk? Don't talk. You wanna throw me off Echo? Throw me off. You wanna tell me I don't know what I'm doing? I know I don't. I have no idea why the ocean chose me. You're right. But... my home is dying. So, I am here. It's just me and you. And I want to help. But, I can't if you don't let me."

Maui explained, "I wasn't born a Demigod. I had Troll parents. They... They took one look and decided they... did not want me. They threw me into the sea... like I was nothing. Somehow, I was found by the gods. They gave me the hook. They made me... Maui. And back to the Trolls I went. I gave them reefs, light, seaberries. Anything they could ever want."

Trollex finally understood why he took the heart, "You took it for them. You did... everything for them. So they would love you."

"It was...never enough."

Trollex then sat beside him, "Maybe the gods found you for a reason. Maybe the ocean brought you to them... because it saw someone who was worthy of being saved. But, the gods aren't the ones who made you Maui. You are."

Maui realized he was probably right.

He decided to just practice with the hook, much to Trollex's joy.

***

The whole way, Maui started slowly.

Turning into small to big creatures.

He was able to get the hook to work for him again.

He was even able to use the hook to slice through rocks.

Trollex said, "Next stop: Te Ora."

However, Maui decided that after everything he's been through, Trollex deserved a real chance.

Maui started to properly teach Trollex wayfinding.

He even helped train Echo to obey his commands.

Just like Maui, Trollex was able to get the hang of it.

Eventually, Trollex was a good navigator and Echo finally did what he said without fuss.