Chapter 1

On the 16th August 2013 I did something anyone could do. I registered with a website where I could read, or write, stories . . . for free. I discovered people from around the world were posting their stories, from every genre imaginable (some I hadn't heard of), posting their chapters and getting them read. Of course it was mainly amateurs writing whatever they wanted and readers commenting whatever they wanted. It was brilliant. 

Much of the writing was terrible; spelling, punctuation, language: but some was terrific and the hits from the general public indicated the popularity of these stories. 

So I started reading and filling my wattpad library with books. Little did I know this was the beginning of something for me. A new experience and a new direction.

Prior to joining wattpad, I had started writing a book, a fiction thriller, and then I took a six-week writing course. Eventually, I sent the manuscript to an author for her to assess. But while all that was going on, I had been reading books on wattpad in the Romance genre, and I thought, 'why don't I give it a go and write a romance.' 

Last year I attended a book festival and during one session the speaker mentioned wattpad, and called the type of writing (chapter by chapter) as 'episodic writing', a popular but not new form of story telling. Apparently, Charles Dickens wrote this way, posting articles in publications which he then collected together to form a book. 

That got me thinking. Could I do that, post episode by episode of a romance story?