Chapter 13

To be honest I didn't realise how many times I would have to read this book!! With corrections and alterations finally done, I still had to read the whole story again, in case something was out of place or a mistake had crept in. I know also, it's impossible to make a book, with 75,000 words, and have it 100% perfect. Anyway, I'm signing it off today, which means they start to print and set up the e-version. 

I turn my attention now to the marketing. My facebook has been spreading the word for four months. Twitter as well. And wattpad, although I have to say I find it more difficult on wattpad and I don't know why. Basically I have a following of people who will be told when the book is available. But most won't buy it. If they enjoyed The Love Box Experiment (which was the draft version) some wattpaders might spread the word to their friends. The re-titled book, London Red, is the polished story, changed from the draft with new scenes. Many of the changes were as a result of the comments left by wattpaders on the draft.  

I've started to map out the plot for a second book. This will be modelled on Swap With Me, which I posted on wattpad and completed several months ago. Again, I shall treat this as a draft and take account of the comments about this story. It hasn't been as popular as The Love Box Experiment, but I think I know the reasons... (the hero was weak in bed/ the heroine became a criminal/ too much emphasis on a lesbian affair/ identical look-alikes was not realistic)... but I would be interested in more comments if you want to take a look at Swap With Me. Anyway, it will form the basis for the second book to be published.

Lulu are posting to me the final paperback of the book, which they want me to finally sign off. When I get it, it'll be the first time I actually see and hold the book. It's my last chance to make a change to the cover or the interior design. Very exciting. After I have approved the paperback, it'll go into distribution. I have queries over how copies are stored or if this a print-on-demand. Luckily, Lulu provide me with a co-ordinator whom I contact with questions. There's been no word yet on when the eBook will be available, so that's another query!

I've got together, online, a collection of avid readers (whom I've never met before), who have agreed to read the eBook immediately it's available and post an unbiased review. I see this as essential before I start to tell everybody about the book. It means a 2/3 week delay to get the reviews in, but I'm in no hurry. Promotion is something I have to get a grip of. As an indie author, with no track record, I don't have an agent/publisher to do the advertising, launch party, journalist write-ups, etc. I got to do it myself. And I might have the best story in the world, but if nobody knows it's out there, then nobody is going to buy it.