Chapter 12

Lulu Publishing have been in touch about my marketing plan. We discussed what they could do in America and Canada to spread the word. The plan is they will issue a press release to 500 media outlets (book promotion sites, radio, TV, mags, newspapers) and 30,000 journalists concentrated on five specific locations. That's the plan and I'll review the wording of the press release when the book is ready to launch. Also Lulu will advertise the book on a website populated by 250,000 news subscribers called prweb.com. At this stage I'm cautious at spending more money. I have already started my promotion campaign through a dedicated facebook site and twitter. But, here's the thing ... the big market for me is the USA and I don't have any reach into that. So Lulu can do a campaign for me. I look at the cost. They will give me an 'activity feedback' on any journalist who opens my details which will enable me to contact that journalist (I assume Lulu must be using something like chimp monkey). Anyway, I am persuaded and I negotiate a discount. I figure their promotion campaign would need to generate 350 more book sales to break even on this cost. So I buy the package and take the risk. Who knows if this will pay off or not!

Meanwhile I've had the Galley changes (for the text) back from Lulu, but I've noticed one error which has crept in, a mistake by the design team. Chapter headings have a typesetting error which runs through each word 'chapter'. They should have seen that and need to correct it, but it is a further frustrating delay.

They've asked me what price I want to put on the paperback. So I've done some research and will notify Lulu.

The third Cover proof is in my inbox, and the back & front of the book looks brilliant. Such a great feeling! So I approved it.