Clash, our fists (pt. 2)

Shuichi Saihara stood in the middle of his dorm room, accompanied by a discomposed Kokichi Ouma. He scavenged for painkillers, ice packs, anything he could find that would ease his injured jaw.

"Kokichi, do you want me to help you?"
"I don't need your help."
"B-But I care about you, and-"
"Just be quiet."

The Supreme Leader, obviously, didn't like it when others tried to help him.

-

"You little cunt..! This is what you get for stealing our bread!! Pay up with your fuckin' pain!!"

"H-Hey... I'm r-really sorry, it won't happen a-again -"

Tears rolled down Kokichi Ouma's face as he curled up in that same filthy alleyway he always slept in.

The tears, however, quickly flew off of his cheeks as one of the shop owner's boots flew across his face, knocking one of the little boy's teeth out as he did so.

Quiet sobs escaped the little boy as he was beat senseless by those men. He just wanted some food. Their bread was all he could have. He was starving. He felt weak. Bruises already covered his pale, malnourished body. And not even a few bites into his small, stale loaf, it was snatched from him.

Just like everything.

Just like his parents were.

-

"... kichi..."

"Kokichi!"

"H-Huh??" Kokichi snapped back to reality in a daze.

"Oh, thank goodness... I thought you went brain dead for a second..." Shuichi awkwardly chuckled, placing a hand on his shoulder.
"Anyways, even though you told me not to help, I got you some painkillers and an ice pack..! I just... wanted to make you feel better, so..."

Ouma silently took the items and fell onto the couch, exhausted. He held the ice pack against his pale, bruised cheek, and saved the painkillers for later.

"I'm sorry..." Ouma turned on his side, his back facing the taller boy. "Sorry for... neglecting your help..."

"Kokichi, it's completely fine. I knew you wanted help. I'm starting to work you out more and more, little by little... I'm glad we get to spend lots of time together. You're really important to me." Shuichi laid his hand on the liar's head, gently playing with his hair, which made Kokichi giggle a bit.

He turned back over, facing his partner. Their eyes met, and in that moment, Kokichi felt truly safe. He knew Shuichi was someone to trust. Not that he had always doubted that, but as each day went by, that fact was only solidified further.

Shuichi gently placed a kiss on Kokichi's forehead, standing up and preparing the painkillers. As the liar was slowly lulled to sleep by Saihara's gentle humming, the disturbing sound of the pills being popped made him shudder.

-

"Now, Kokichi, it's time for your medicine... I'll need you to open w-"

"No!! Not until you tell me what happened to my parents!!!" 

"... You saw it for yourself, didn't you..?"

"Oh come on!! That has to be a lie!!! I was probably... h-hallucinating or something... the fire... it wasn't r-real... of course not, it w-wasn't..."

"Kokichi... It's okay... We're going to get through this together, alright? I'm your nurse. It's my duty to make sure you're alright... so keep your chin up, okay? You're a big boy."

"Hey, Leader!! Is Miss Shimizu gone..?"

"Y-Yeah... it's alright... come on out..."

"Are we going on a mission today?? Or don't you feel up to it..?"

"Ahaha! Nope! Everything's good! Come on, guys! Let's go kick the world's butt!"

"Wow... Leader's such a great liar, don't you think..?"

-

"Man, how do I take pills again?? I was punched so hard I forgot."

"K-Kokichi, just take the medicine..."

"Fiiine, fine... Shumai's no fun."

*Knock, knock...*

"Ah, yes? Come in..." Shuichi's shy, friendly voice filled the air with a warming presence.

"Kaito came here to apologise."

Maki signaled over to the rather guilty looking Luminary.

"I'm sorry, guys... That was really insensitive of me back there. My bad, really."

"..."

Kokichi stared at the Astronaut disappointedly, before quickly changing his entire demeanor like flipping a coin.

"Neeheehee! No need to apologise. I mean, we're beeeeest frieeends, right?"

"On the other hand," Maki began, taking a breath,

"I need to speak with Kokichi."

Said boy felt a chill rush up his spine, but he couldn't decline. With the same cheery facade, he complied, following Maki outside.

Kaito left to his room, and Shuichi nervously awaited his partner's return.

"Sooooo, whaddaya need me for, Miss Murdery?" He swayed on his heels, sporting a cheeky grin.

"Shut up. What I need you for, is to talk to you like a real person."

"Ugh, fine. We haven't talked like this in years. What do you want?"

"It's about you. What the hell happened to you after the fire??"

"Fire? Whatever could you mean, Maki Roll?"

"You know what I'm talking about. You know, the fire that killed our parents before you were in rehab? And don't you dare call me that."

"No shit, Sherlock." Kokichi grew annoyed at the Assassin's bluntness.

"So I got taken in by the orphanage, and where the hell did you go?"

"I went to the local hospital. I was so erratic and uncooperative that they had to put me in a straitjacket. There, I met a bunch of kids who were actually willing to help me with my problems, and had been through the same. Then, they helped me break out of the hospital. Is that enough information for you, Harukawa, or are you too dense to understand?"

"After all this time, you're still as annoying as ever. I'm telling you, if you let the word get out that I'm an assassin, you're next on my hitlist."

"Bye byeeee, Maki-chan!
You murderer."