Chapter 6

Upon stepping out into the car park, I realise it's raining. I didn't bring an umbrella with me and by the look of things, neither did Adam, so we run, me following Adam, towards the directions I'm guessing his car is. I cover my head with my arms, looking at the floor to make sure I don't trip every now and then. Adam seems to have run ahead a lot faster than me and I can see him already getting into his beat up, what looks to be second hand, car. I start to run faster, not taking my eyes off the floor - big mistake. I run straight into someone.

"Hey, watch where you're go- Kara?" I know that deep, husky voice. It used to send shivers down my spine, but now only anger runs through my body. He holds out a hand, offering to help me stand up. I refuse, pushing myself to my feet. I don't even look at him, just walk around him and continue towards Adam's car. "Kara, wait! Let me explain!"

I'm getting seriously angry now. I turn around, glaring at him. "Explain what, Blade? What could you possibly say that could make what you've done better? You think you can just apologise and we'll be friends again? We can just pretend you never lied to the whole college, making me out to be this loser kid who got dumped by her cheating boyfriend? I don't think so. That's not how it works."

Blade doesn't get the chance to say anything before I feel someone placing their hand on the small of my back, turning me around to leave. Adam is guiding me away from Blade, holding a coat over both of our heads to protect us from the rain. "Got a new boyfriend already, have we Kara?" Blade's shouting from behind me. I stop again and turn to look at him. "You can't get pissed at me if you've already moved on Kara, that's not fair either."

"Moved on? You think I've moved on in less than 24 hours? I damn well love you Blade, you think I can move on that fast?" Pain flashes across his eyes before quickly disappearing, he knows he's hurting me - good. "Adam isn't my boyfriend you moron, he's just the only person who's here for me right now. So please, if you're going to try and have something smart to say Blade, think about it for a second. Just- Just think about how you've hurt me, for one minute, and then try asking me if I've already moved on." He can't even look at me now, so I turn around and walk towards Adam's car again, Adam walking along side me, not saying a word. 

Once in the car, I realise I'm crying all over again. Adam climbs into the drivers seat, starts the engine and puts the heater on. "Kara?" Adam says quietly. "I'm fine, just- do you have a tissue or something?" I say, sniffling and wiping the tears from my face with the sleeve of my shirt. He points at the glove compartment in front of me as he starts to drive out of the parking lot. I open the glove compartment and find a packet of tissues. After wiping my face and nose I look in the car mirror, only to see my hair looks terrible. Its all stuck in a funny shape from the rain. Taking the hair band from around my wrist I just tie my hair in bun. "There should be a blanket on the back seat if you're cold, the heater can take a while to warm up in this old car," Adam says, without even taking his eyes off the road. I reach behind me and grab the blanket, wrapping it around myself. Its a deep red colour, soft and looks like it was hand made. Adam must have seen me looking at it as he says "my mum made it last year, took up all the energy she had but she promised she'd make me one last blanket." His hands have tightened around the steering wheel and seems to be stopping himself from looking at me. I can understand why, its never easy to talk about someone who's passed away. I didn't know his mum had passed, just like he probably didn't know my dad had either. I clear my throat, suddenly feeling like there's something stuck there, stopping me from telling him. "It's really soft, she must have spent a lot of time on it." I finally choke out, he just nods with a slight smile on his face - probably reminiscing. 

We sit in silence for the rest of the journey before Adam stops right in front of the restaurant. "If you get out here and just run inside, I'll find somewhere to park so you don't get caught up in the rain again." I nod, sliding the blanket off my shoulders and placing it on the backseat again. I'm hesitant to get out, thinking of how awkward it will be to walk in there alone. "I'll only be two minutes tops Kara, don't worry." I turn towards him, smiling slightly. "Okay."