Chapter 4: Potion Helper

Harry wandered around the halls of Riddle Manor looking everywhere for Tom, but he couldn't find him anywhere. He couldn't ask Tom's followers because they were wary of him and uncertain about how they should treat him since they used to try and kill him. Harry mostly ignored them and they him.

Yet they couldn't exactly ignore him when he was sitting in the middle of the hallway with his tail coiled around him looking sad.

"Potter...?"

"What?" Harry responded, voice muffled by his knees.

"Um...Are you okay?"

Harry looked up at the uncertain Death Eater he didn't know the name of. "I can't find Tom."

"Tom?"

"Yes. Tom."

The Death Eater paused confused to who 'Tom' was, but it dawned on him, "You mean the Dark Lord?"

"Yes," Harry repeated, "Tom."

"Oh, right...I think he's down in the lab."

"Lab?" Harry perked up, "Where?"

"Just off the entranceway. To the left!" the Death Eater yelled after him as Harry took off.

"Thanks!" Harry called back and was gone.

xxx

As the Death Eater said, Harry found the lab with Tom inside working on several different potions at once. Harry snuck in behind him and wrapped his arms around Tom's middle, "Boo!"

"Hello Harry," Tom said not fazed.

Harry pouted and nuzzled his face in the middle of Tom's back."I found you."

"Were you looking for me?"

Harry nodded. "What are you doing?" he asked leaning onto Tom's work table to look into one of the bubbling cauldrons.

"Re-making some potions."

"Re-making?" Harry questioned, looking into another cauldron and inhaling it, but it made him wrinkle his nose in distaste.

"Yes," Tom said continuing in his stirring, "The last batch seems to have been in an accident."

Harry lowered his ears guiltily, "You mean the ones I broke?" Tom hummed his agreement and Harry leaned against his arm, nuzzling it. "Sorry," he mewed.

"It's okay. It keeps me busy," Tom replied and scratched Harry behind the ears, "Besides, that little mishap turned you back."

"Can I help?" he asked eagerly as he purred.

"It's alright. You don't have to."

"But I do want to. I broke them."

"As I said, it was an accident."

"I still want to help!"

Tom sighed and looked into Harry's hopeful face and caved. "Okay. Here," he said placing some ingredients and a knife in front of him," Cut these. 1/4 inch thick."

"Okay!" Harry said brightly and set to work.

With Harry suitably distracted, Tom was able to focus on his work, plus with Harry helping, it was going a lot faster, or it would if he didn't keep getting distracted. Harry kept asking him questions on what to do next, what the potion was for, how long it would take, and so on. And when Harry was quiet his tail would swing back and forth as he worked, drawing Tom's attention to Harry's pert little backside. The more it swung the more Tom wanted to take Harry over his workstation.