V. HAIR CLIP NICKNAMES

❝ when he was halfwayout the bedroom windowhe looked at mefor a backward glance

when he was halfway
out the bedroom window
he looked at me
for a backward glance.

CHAPTER FIVE:
HAIR CLIP NICKNAMES

─────────────────────────

I came back home walking alone, having Jovi dropped off to his house just a street away from Auntie Nida's. He bid me his goodbyes with that undeniable, gentle smile of his that he always threw at me whenever he wanted to.

But when I got home, I got what I always expected: my father greeted me with a stern look that I always tried to ignore. I saw my brother and Auntie Nida stare at me like I've done something so heinous and so unforgivable. I draw a look of confusion to my face.

"Gee, what happened? What did I do?" I ask in some confused disbelief. They only intensified their killer stares which put me on the hot seat. And then it took a while before everything got me; I nodded slowly and bellowed out laughter that grew hysterically in realization. "Is that why?"

They only looked at me. I felt the upper hand they had on me slowly crumble into pieces as they feel my confusion fade away into obscurity. "If I had to tell you anything: I regret nothing. I enjoyed the time I spent outside and I don't think it's in any way rational trying to scream and bicker at your daughter for being happy the first time."

And then I scurried away, rushing up the stairs and locking my door along with the bolt. The room was the same dusty, attic-like room filled with cobwebs and antiques.

I take some random cloth I first get a hold of and immediately shaking off the dust off my bed with it. Who was supposed to live here anyway? Who was supposed to have this room?

Then I lied down the bed when my gut feeling told me that it was all enough. I felt myself bounce back from the bed as I threw myself in like diving backwards into a chlorinated pool. I stared at the ceiling with emptiness filling my mind. I moved my eyes towards the window that stood open with the curtains that were hung to the side and blown by the wind.

It was a different feeling, surely. This wasn't like those lonely nights wishing for a mother, sleeping in different hotel rooms that my father stayed in. For the first time in almost forever, I felt company. I felt this thing that I've never felt with anyone else.

And for the first time, I felt content. I felt what I've always been wanting to feel, and now the time has come. Maybe he was really a nice guy, no? Maybe he wouldn't be like anybody else this time.

I felt a curl lift up the corners of my lips as my eyelids fell heavy, covering my eyes into dark solace as I fell asleep, happiness finally singing me a lullaby.

As the night grew deeper and moon shone brighter, I felt uneasy as I tried to sleep. My intuition kept telling me something that was unclear and blurry. To put in a nutshell: things just didn't feel right.

Nevertheless I still managed to try and close my eyes and contemplate about what I should do with myself in this place where the people I don't know know me.

So I did try to sleep.

But something kept me awake: an indistinguishable sound that is like a soft tap against a certain surface. In this case, the sound continued on and on and I couldn't point out where it's coming from or what's causing it. But then, when I opened my eyes wide I felt myself jerk at the sight of a guy in a blue sweater knock on my window.

When I lifted my head to see who that guy was, I exclaimed to myself silently as it occured to me that the person making that sound was Jovi.

He waved his hand at me. I rolled my eyes. I stood up groggily and opened my window. I said:

"Jesus Christ, Jo. Why do you have to sneak in at this time? You could've just told me tomorrow morning or whatever time I'll be waking up."

"No, Doll. No. I just need to tell you something very important: a friend will be visiting here tomorrow."

And then he pauses and I raise my eyebrow. He said: "Can I go in first?" We both laugh in embarrassment and I nod. "Come in."

"And so what about your friend?" I said as he sat on my bed. He lied on my bed and I raise my eyebrow again. That's two. He's being very vague in a weird way and it confuses me to the core. "Gee, Jo, what's up with you tonight? Suddenly you climb up my window and apparently you come here to lie on my bed?"

He whispered a silent 'ohh' to himself and said: "I just want the two of you to meet 'cause I bet you two will get along. My buddy'll be coming by the house and I just kinda hope you'd see Markus in the morning."

I sighed as I closed my window and leaned against it. I crossed my arms. "Okay. What time?"

"I don't know. Breakfast? It don't matter as long as you'll be there and my friend'll be there too. My momma could make you two some pancakes in the mornin' so you two could both hang. Do you wanna?"

"Sure. What's your friend's name again?"

"Markus. You'll love Markus, I swear," he paused, looking at me like he's asking for confirmation. "Yeah?" I snapped him out of it: he was staring at me and I felt weird. "So, see ya tomorrow?"

"Sure. I'm good with that. Now out you go, Jo." I shooed him out of my bed and sat next to him.

And then he grabbed three little hair clips of mine lying on the bedside table and immediately scurried swiftly to the window. But when he was halfway out the bedroom window he looked at me for a backward glance.

"I like the nickname. And the hair clips too." he pauses again for a while. "See ya tomorrow, Doll."

And he just snuck outside the window and climbed down some tree that was outside my room. And then I just stood there weirded out, dumbstruck and confused.

I walked near the window to take a look on what was doing. I saw him climb down briskly down the tree and scampered back to his house, his fist enclosed holding my little hair clips that once sat idly on the table.

He then stopped and looked at my window. I pointed myself with my thumb and gave him an inquisitive yet blank look. He nods. I smile. He mouths a soundless 'Thank you!' and headed home.

I smile yet again at the thought of him. He's not so bad after all.