VII. SICK STOMACH LIKE METAL MOTHS

❝ i knew they werechildhood friends, so ididn't try to take thatopportunity of being togetheraway from them

i knew they were
childhood friends, so i
didn't try to take that
opportunity of being together
away from them.

CHAPTER SEVEN:
SICK STOMACH LIKE
METAL MOTHS.

─────────────────────────

"Dahlia? Dahl─ oh, thank God! We were worried sick about you! Gee, we were in a shock you fainted there! Are you okay, Dahlia?"

It was the almighty Markus girl staring at me worriedly. She was jittery and frantic as she talked to me, caressing my arms motherly and looked at me with (I guess feigned) concern. Jovi was standing behind her with the same distraught look of worry.

"Are you guys my parents now?" I remark, but they only laugh playfully with a concerned undercurrent. I raised my eyebrows as I looked around and see that I was someplace else, more so, an unfamiliar place.

I sat up and I felt a slight feeling of heavyweights falling down on my head. I placed my hand on my forehead as I sat up. "Where am I?" I ask the both of them.

"You're in Jovi's room. We had to take you someplace else aside from your house. We know how Auntie Nida reacts about these types of stuff. Like, if you tell her your friend fainted for no reason, she'll go raging mad for no valid reason at all..." she said, looking back at Jovi during intervals as if they were doing some scripted dialogue in a theatre. He helped her out with her words and muttered out inaudible things that apparently the Markus girl can only hear. These two are like soul sisters. I roll my eyes at the thought.

"Of course! I think anyone who received the groundbreaking news that their niece or their nephew fainted would freak out anyway." I said, saying the word 'groundbreaking' mockingly.

"Oh, I don't think you know Auntie Nida..." the Markus girl said matter-of-factly. I see Jovi stifle a laugh under his breath while exchanging playful glances with her. Are they joking me? Are they really gonna do this now? Abelinda broke the silence again, and said: "How long you've been here anyway?"

"A day?"

And then they both snickered after my confused response. What the hell is wrong with these two? Are they really trying to insult me? Because if they are, it is really working. Hell, it's even taking a toll on me. I stood up slightly nauseated and tried to walk a straight line.

"Hey, Doll, be careful!"

When I exited the room, I was immediately hit by a swirling haze that felt like a whirlwind in my head. My vision doubled and my composure completely disappeared when I faced the descending stairs headed towards the ground.

I took a step forward, but I only fell down the stairs, causing my behind to slide down the harsh wooden planks. This day could not get any worse. I grinned to myself in angry awkwardness as I tried to stand up with my rear end stinging like I was hazed by my sorority sisters. "Ah, shit."

"Dahlia!" Jovi ran to me and helped me stand up. Abelinda and he looked worried sick and I only scoffed inwardly at their feigned worry. They really need to stop doing this.

"Dahlia, what are you doing to yourself?" Abelinda took me by the hand and looked at me with compassion in her eyes. I was utterly confused. "Huh?"

"Dally, you can always talk to us. Is the life here in Pennytown bugging you? Jo and I are always here..."

I raise my eyebrows again. squinting my eye slightly in confusion. "You're being really vague, Linda. I don't know what you're talking about."

She only tightens her grasp on my hand and I wince at the action. "Dahlia, stop denying it. You can always tell me what's happening."

Then I averted my gaze to Jovi who was standing behind the Markus girl, also perplexed. "What is she saying?" he mouthed soundlessly. "I don't know!" I mouthed back, slightly whispering. I hoped it was not audible enough for Linda to hear.

"You're hurting yourself, aren't you?"

And then in utter shock I let go from her grasp. "No, I'm not!"

"Dude!" Jovi whisper-shouted. I calm myself down the second he crossed his arms and shook his head. I mutter curse words in my head as I glared at him for a split second.

"Are you sure?" Linda asked. I nod frantically. I feel Jovi roll his eyes at me.

And then hot-shot Linda tried to cut off the tension with her calmness: "Calm down..." Who is she? Buddha? "How about the three of us go walk? I know a place in Pennytown."

Then I saw her exchange glances and smile at Jovi. I think I would've been a millionaire if the times I've rolled my eyes were money.

Jovi walked towards Linda and put his arm around her shoulder. I felt somewhat a heavy feeling in my chest, but I only shrugged it off by rolling my eyes again and again. Why am I so unlucky today? Is it because of how seventies I look? Is it because of the weed-reeking hippie shirt?

I drew the collar of my polyester shirt to my nostrils and tried to smell it while they couldn't see me. Yup, it still smelled like weed.

I rushed outside the door and tried to keep close to them as possible. They were the same as they were when they went out. His arm was still around her shoulder and both of them were still laughing. Mooks.

I walked behind them and watched them laugh and laugh and laugh while they looked into each other's eyes with joy. I wanted to throw a rock behind the both of them and I hide behind the neighbour's garden. But I didn't because I'm a wimp.

I wanted to throw up, too.

My stomach felt sick at the sight of them. But I only tried and tried to shrug it off just because. I knew they were childhood friends, so I didn't try to take that opportunity of being together away from them. Linda was there when I was gone. Hell, I don't even remember any memories playing with Jovi. If there were any, it would be blurry and utterly vague.

So I let them be while thinking of being Linda's maid of honor when they get married. Dad would be Jovi's best man─ I can't even.

I was feeling so sick. I should've just fainted right now.