XII. KIDDIE PARTY URGENCY

❝ there was this manentering in and out of thebackyard, butnot for the food

entering in and out of the
backyard, but
not for the food.

CHAPTER TWELVE:
KIDDIE PARTY URGENCY

─────────────────────────

The next day after our ice cream adventure Jovi and I hung out a little bit more often. There were no kids that were our age who we could hang out it, so we hung out with each other instead.

Occasionally, he treated me out to ice creams and I treated him clothes by going to the mall uptown. Sometimes we even go to the movies and then talk about how awful their soundtrack is. I don't know with him, but it surely was something realizing that I really do enjoy his company.

Maybe it's just because of my issues with my father. That I get so attached to men who show the slightest bit of interest in me. I'm the one to blame for a heartbreak. But I don't like Jovi. Just the way his eyes brighten up when I treat him popcorn and soda when we go to the movies.

But unfortunately, his little Markus baby girl arrived (like usual) on the weekend when my little brother was about to celebrate his birthday party. I didn't even have a clue she was invited. For all I know, Auntie Nida sent out the invitations.

So consequently, with Jovi and Linda talking to each other, I felt out of place. Their conversations were actually worth listening to, considering it was about how they were and how they feel about the new president.

I admit that I'm shallow for not caring about politics, but since when did people care? They unknowingly preach those who sabotage our country. But Linda said she likes our new president. I guess I'll like him, too.

Since my place here was basically a seat in the corner and a quiet dollhouse girl, I couldn't help but stare around and quietly observe. What was there supposed to do anyway?

The birthday party was held in the backyard with a ton of unfamiliar faces entering in and out for food. My brother wasn't anywhere to be seen but it was easy to assume he was just playing with the neighbours' children.

But there was one thing that caught my attention ─ and surprisingly it wasn't Jovi's picture at his prom. He really was handsome in that white coat, and I'm not gonna try to deny that.

There was this man entering in and out of the backyard, but not for the food. He and his three other men in black suits approached my father who was taking some rum-infused juice (and possibly drinking way too much of it). They had perfect postures, and they walked like robot. Their black suits didn't have a crease nor a wrinkle that would be a sign of even the littlest of imperfection. I wasn't able to get a clear look on what their faces were, but I was sure they looked too healthy.

I saw my father say "Hello there!" and shook their hands. He had this odd look on his face of excitement and fear. The agitation on his eyes were visible from the way he looked at him. Beads of sweat were rolling down his forehead as he gave them this phony smile.

The man in black gave father a suitcase of which was intriguingly mysterious. My father smiled at him with this look of worry that was undetectable to no one else but me. I know my father when he gets too scared. He was apprehensive and agitated in such a sublime way, but it didn't seem like it was anywhere visible at all.

I read my father's lips as he exchanged glances with the man in this weirdo hat. "Thank you for coming," that was what I read. The man, however, was still so... unreadable. It was as if the man was an empty void trapped in a human's body. He and his minions were all the same like clones of the same doll. It creeped me out.

They walked inside the house very systematically like they were robots connected to remotes and controllers. Dad looked at them sternly as he opened the door for them. Being the dumb, curious little girl that I am, I followed them.

I eavesdropped by the window and listened to them. Then after that, realizing that I couldn't hear them, I made my way inside the house in the front door and quietly entranced in. Certain as I were that they didn't hear me, my heart pounded inside my heart as if it were begging to escape.

When I swiftly and soundlessly passed by them, I snuck my ear out to hear them speak.

The locks that have enclosed the suitcase seemingly opened when it fell down the floor. I heard the sound of its hinges creak a bit ─ then my father's gasp.

"We will give you three hunded million to sell us Pennytown." The man in black said, awfully monotone with the way he spoke to my father.

"No, I cannot. We have agreed on a billion! Your boss and I have negotiated that in exchange for your─"

Then I heard what seems to be a gun click and the man in black saying: "If you fucking mess with us, we will kill your family."

Goosebumps. Headache. Chopped breathing.

Quietly, I watched my dad cried in agony with both his hands up and a gun sticking to his hand: "No! Please don't!" 

Silence. Nothing else.

So I ran upstairs in fear and locked my door. My brother and his friends were there, watching me breathe unevenly and sweat myself until I was drenched in it. They were playing their legos, the other boy brushing a Barbie doll. That's cool.

But what happened earlier, not cool. What did they mean when Pennytown was gonna be sold for three hundred million? That couldn't be real.

I startled when three, heavy knocks pounded on the door. My frightened gaze averted to the children and quietly whispered: "Don't tell them I'm here." They nodded in response as their gazes watched me hide under the bed. I told them to not look.

My brother, like the dum-dum that he is, opened the door.

Under the bed, I saw two black shoes walk inside the room. The black shoes turned around as if it was to observe, but I only hid under the bed silently, praying he'd go away.

The deep voice said to the person behind him that no was here, and it brought me to a sigh of relief.

Then my brother closed the door.

I snuck out from underneath the bed and opened the door slightly to get a good look at their faces as they descended.

White face, black hat, and black suit.

Who must they be? And what did they mean by buying Pennytown?