4

(Heavy angst and a real bad wound)

The clouds of dust was heavy and eventually clearing, but it wasn't a concern. Slowly, Obi Wan regained consciousness, immediately trying to move. He almost screamed at the amount of pain that rushed in his chest, sweat beading at his forehead. His eyes panickedly darted to see the cause, his stomach lurching at the sight of a large chunk of metal piercing him. It looked like a broken bit of a shuttle, stained with his blood and dust. The Jedi threw a hand behind him, groaning at the feeling of the metal digging into the ground. It felt like work to breathe, to keep his eyes forced open. As if he had any control over the results of this. At least he couldn't remember the first pain from the injury, though the continue wasn't exactly any better.

Distantly, he could hear the sound of names being called. His own was amoung them, trying to call back but it felt like all he could do was breathe and bleed. The calls got louder, Cody's voice being recognized now. Obi Wan screwed his eyes tightly, silently hoping that maybe the commander wouldn't find him. He didn't want his friend to see him like this, the last time he would see him. But a shout of "general!" signalled that his hopes were useless, opening his eyes again. If this was truly the last time he'd see Cody, he had one thing that he needed to do before his heart stopped.

"You'll be alright, sir, just hold on!" Cody was quick to say, dropping to his knees with his helmet tossed aside. Worry was written all over the commander's face, hands gripping the metal despite the sharp shards that had to be digging into his gloved hand. The close proximity was all that mattered to Obi Wan, raising a hand to softly press against the back of his commander's head. The question of confusion was stopped by the Jedi lurching himself forward slightly, pressing his lips softly against Cody's. His hand slipped down from the back of his head slowly, dropping to drape across his shoulders. He pulled back gently, a sad smile playing at his lips as the taste of blood filled his mouth. Cody looked in shock, as if processing what happened slowly. Obi Wan was about to try to gurgle out an apology for his action when the warm lips pressed back against his in a desperate fashion. The Jedi could feel blood seep from his lips into onto commander's, the light headed feeling  rushing achingly fast. He couldn't tell if it was from the kiss or from the stab wound...maybe even both.

Cody jerked back suddenly, the sound of others searching the reasoning for that. In the blurry vision, Obi Wan could see his blood on the commander's lips. He could see the other tug his helmet back on quickly, tears brimming in the golden eyes he loved so. The sound of people yelling was starting to diminish into nothing, his eyes closing slowly. The pain became almost nothing, a dull ache now. He couldn't tell what people were saying, barely even able to tell who was saying what. The memory of Cody's tears hurt more than the metal impaling his chest.

But then it all went black.

Only to return to bright white.

Heaven? The afterlife? Obi Wan couldn't tell, squinting against the light. His chest still ached softly, which felt confusing. Did the afterlife still keep the pain of the cause of death? That would be annoying. Would he walk around with a bloody hole in his chest as well? So many questions filled his head, starting to ache over.

"General!"

Cody? He swore that was Cody's honey-like tone. He dreampt of that voice for what felt like years. What was years. Obi Wan felt saddened, wondering if this was what people meant when they say life would flash in front of their eyes. If all he'd see and hear was Cody, that was fine with him.

"Obi Wan!"

The voice sounded closer, a pressure pressing on his hand. The Jedi flicked his gaze to it, noticing the familiar calloused skin over his own. Immediately his eyes snapped to the owner of that hand, eyes widening at the sight of Cody. There was still blood on the commander's lips, though it was dried slightly. Was this a dream? The final dream he'd ever have? Of course the final dream he'd have would be with Cody.

"Force sake, Obi Wan, you can't kiss me then ignore me!"

The painfully amused voice was accompanied by a soft squeeze to the held hand. It snapped him away from the thoughts of being dead, realizing he was alive. He survived the metal shard piercing his chest so deeply. Immediately, he held onto the hand so tightly, tears welling in his eyes. He was alive, he could have another day with Cody. Relief settled into his body, replacing the daydream-like state to a state of happiness. Whilst it wasn't the ideal time to be so happy, Obi Wan couldn't help it. Ignoring the protest of alarm and concern, the Jedi was quick to pull Cody onto the small bed with him. The commander shook his head in amusement, carefully clinging onto the shorter. His arms avoided the Jedi's chest entirely, face tucking into his shoulder.

Obi Wan was more focused on holding Cody close than the pain that could rise from it, soft and quick pecks covering the commander's head. His body shifted slightly to lean more into the taller's frame, the warmth from it making the broken soul inside feel happiness again. He closed his eyes again, still tired from whatever medicine and his wound.

"If your stitches open from this, I swear..."

Fond, loving, gentle...Obi Wan smiled at the unheard tone. It was like a never ending song, one that lifted spirits and delievered hope. To him, Cody was a reason to smile, a reason to have a heart still. Without his commander, the Jedi feared what state he'd be in. Had it not been for his weakened state, Obi Wan would've held Cody tighter to his side, or risked rolling onto his side to properly hold him. The latter option wouldn't go well; he could already hear the scolding that would follow.

For now, laying like this would have to do. The Jedi felt more impatient towards recovering now that a more tender reason to look forward to it arrived. He wanted to hold Cody, to love him, to do everything he had only dreampt of with him. But for now, the commander laying against his side, arms wrapped tightly around his lower torso would have to do.