Up In Flames

Chapter Warnings: Violence and swearing

Dani and Mike leave the mines and enter the cold frigid air. The cold wind assaults them, making her ever colder from the water still clinging to her clothes. Dani's head was pounding and she was starting to feel dizzy again. Something Mike seemed to notice since he put his arm around her waist. "I've got you, okay?" Mike says and she nods before putting her arm around his shoulder. "Let's go." She says.

They make the trek back to the lodge and Dani thought she could hear yelling. Sam? "Shit. Come on." Mike says and hurries their pace. "Hey!" Dani hears and focuses once again. "Come on, open up!" Sam yells. Dani's friends needed her and she wasn't going to let them down. They reach a small clearing and she sees Sam at the back door. "Guys come on, are you in there!" Sam yells as the duo approaches.

"Let me in!" Sam yells as they are on the porch. "Sam—" Dani says and Sam gasps as she turns. "Shit, you guys! Oh gosh, you guys look terrible." Sam says and Dani can't help the small chuckle, she was sure they did. "Gonna look worse if we stay out here. Come on." Mike says. "May have to break in." Dani says and Sam nods. "Yeah, no one's answering. I hope they're alright." Sam says as she bends down to pick up a rock.

Dani wanted to believe they were but she also felt that doubt. Anything could happen when it came to wendigos. Sam throws the rock through the glass panel and the glass shatters. Sam reaches through the broken pane and unlocks the door. "Okay." Sam says as she opens the door. "You good?" Mike asks Dani as she lets go of him. "Yeah. I'm good." Dani says before following Sam in. She wasn't lying, her dizziness was temporarily gone.

"W-what happened to Josh?" Sam asks after Mike closes the door and Dani swallows hard. "He didn't make it." Dani quietly says. "It got him in the water." Mike says. "Oh God, what an awful way to go." Sam says before turning on the lights. "Not good." Mike says and turns them off immediately afterwards. "He's right. Let's go find the others." Dani says before going further into the lodge.

"Yeah. We should check the basement. Might be someone left down there." Mike says and Dani nods. They head to the stairs with Sam's headlamp illuminating the way. Dani rubs her arms to try and stave off the cold as they go down the stairs. She leads the way to the projection room and goes inside. "How do you rate our chances of survival?" Sam asks and Dani looks at her. "I'm trying not to think about it." Mike says.

"Above average." Dani answers truthfully or at the very least hopefully. She hears the wendigo screech and tenses before she sees Chris running for them. "Go!! Run!" She hears Ashley yell. "Get outta here! Go, go, go!" Chris yells as he does a 'come on' motion with his arm. Chris runs past them and Dani sees both Ashley and Emily running as well. "Go, go! We gotta go!" Emily yells.

Dani felt momentarily relieved at seeing her friends alive before her instincts and adrenaline kick back in. "Run!" Mike yells. She needed to give them enough time to run even if it meant putting herself at risk. "Go!" Dani yells at Sam before running for the door as she sees the two wendigos. "Shit!" Dani swears before slamming it close. She takes off running as she hears them slamming against the door.