Chapter 31

Anakins POV:

I had a sickening feeling when Cal raced to help her father near the speeder. I called to her just as it exploded and I felt a part of me die. I bolt to her and put her on my lap carefully, holding her head. Her arm was broken, I could tell by the way it was positioned and her arms were scraped and bleeding.

Her dress had ripped and her thigh was exposed, revealing her holder and lightsabers. I covered her up and stroked her face, careful to avoid the cut along her cheek and her busted lip.

I look up to see Clovis clutching Padmé, now awake, who was being questioned by medics. Farther back from them was Calypso's mom, holding her husband and crying. He was alive, caressing her face, comforting her no doubt.

Obiwan ran up to me and I look up to him, wind hitting my face and only then realizing I had tears on my cheeks.

"Obiwan," I say quietly, my eyes begging him to comfort me somehow, "what happened?"

Obiwan kneels beside me and put his hand on my shoulder, the first real time we've connected. "We don't know yet, but Satine believes the insurgents from Concordia were targeting the senators and herself."

He looks down to Cal and caresses her face softly. "We should get her to a medic immediately." I nod and pick her up, bringing her to the hospital room.

I set her down on a bed and let the medics know what happened. They usher me out and I go, although somewhat unwillingly. I can't do anything more for Cal, so I rush back outside to see where you I help.

*****

Obiwans POV:

I was afraid the insurgents would attack when all the senators were together and vulnerable. I'd heard whispers throughout the city and it had been too quiet for too long. Satine, however, did not share my concerns and it had been the center of many an argument.

I was on guard before our walk to the platform and I advised Qui-Gon to be as well. I needed to keep Satine safe at all times and I was appreciative that she wanted me near her regardless.

I had the Jedi stand on either side of the Senators inconspicuously so every side was protected. Someone rigging the speeder to explode had not dawned on me until the guards and Senators Clovis and Amidala had boarded it.

Qui-Gon and Calypso's quick actions thankfully saved the Senators but the guards could not be helped, which hurt Satine deeply. After making sure everyone was okay she excused herself to her room. I could feel her sadness but she refused to let me come with her, insisting I stayed to help where I could.

I had gone to the hospital wing and came first to Qui-Gons room. He was on a hospital bed with Galadriel beside him. Their heads turn towards me as I enter.

"Master," I nod to him, "Your highness."

"Kenobi, how is Calypso?" Galadriel says and runs up to me. "They won't let me see her and they haven't told me anything." She begins to cry and i grab her shoulders.

"I will go find her and tell you what I'm permitted to," I say. "Are you alright Master?"

Qui-Gon nods. "They want me to stay here for another day to ensure there's nothing wrong. But other than a few scrapes and a headache I'm alright."

I leave to find Calypso to ease her parents and my mind. I look for Anakin knowing he'll be close to her.
I spot him down a few hallways, pacing back and forth.

"Obiwan!" He exclaims and approaches me. I'm wary of him and his obsession with Calypso, so I decide to send him elsewhere.

"Padawan Skywalker," I address him, knowing he hates cordial and demeaning titles. "I have been instructed to oversee Calypso's recovery to completion, as her master. Qui-Gon has decided you shall protect the Senators Clovis and Amidala until they are well enough to return home."

The last part I had made up, but it wasn't an unreasonable request, they should be protected. However, unbeknownst to me, it would change the course of all our lives for the years to come.

He looked ready to argue with me but instead walks over to the door of Calypso's room, looking at her longingly. "Will you let her know I was here? That I did all I could to help her?" I nod and he bows to me before disappearing down the hall.

I almost feel bad for the kid, but know this is what's best for Calypso in the long run. They need to be separated if either of them is going to become the best version of themselves.

I walk to her room and a hospital aid is beside her, checking her vitals. "We are not permitting visitors at this time, Master Kenobi. I'm afraid I am going to have to ask you to leave." She says before motioning to the door.

"It is alright that I'm here," I say and motion two fingers across your body, using a Jedi mind trick. "I am permitted to take care of this patient and you will leave us."

She looks to me strangely before repeating my words and leaving the room. I step over to Calypso and hold her hand in mine. It feels so small in mine and it reminds me how young she really is.

My heart tightens at the danger this child has already been exposed to and how much more she'll continue to encounter. The life of a Jedi is complete sacrifice of ones self and part of me wishes she would leave the order now and spare herself the undeniable hurt to come.

I try to sense her wounds to make sure she's truly alright. Her lip is cut and swollen and she has a cut down her cheek near her left eye. Her arms are badly scraped and she's covered in bruises. Her left arm is in a cast, it's broken.

My heart tightens seeing her like this. I see her as my little sister and knowing that I couldn't protect her from what happened or from what could happen in the future hurts me deeper than any physical pain ever could.

She stirs and squeezes my hand, "Anakin," she mumbles before turning to me and meeting my eyes. "Obi," she says and smiles, warming my heart. I tuck a strand of her hair behind her ear.

"How are you, little one?" I ask.

"I feel like a million credits," she jokes, "I was thinking if you're not busy we could go for a run around the city?"

I chuckle, but become serious. "Cal. How are you doing?"

"Honestly I'm fine. I feel a little beat up, of course, but I did what I knew was right, no hesitation, no fear." She says and I commend her bravery. She will be an amazing knight.

"How is the senator?" She inquires.

"Padme is fine. Anakin is looking over her now," I say and see her whole demeanor change. She tries to play it off but you know it struck a chord deep within her.

"Oh." Is all she says. I feel bad for hurting her but know its for the best that her and Anakin are separated as much as possible.

I decide to omit his message to her. Their relationship was dangerously on the edge of romantic and I knew convincing her differently would only prolong the hurt. I loved her and needed to help her respect her choice to become a knight. I was her protector, her teacher, and I needed to be there for her. Especially when her emotions clouded her judgment. 

"What happened?" She inquires.

"We're not entirely sure. All we know is someone rigged the speeder to explode. We lost four guards but everyone else was saved," I say.

"And Anakin? Is he alright?" She says.

"He's fine." Is all the information I am willing to give her. I'm not looking to start a discussion about their situation.

She nods. "I think I'm going to try and get some rest," she says.

"I will be back later to check on you, dear one." I say and leave to tell her mother of her condition.